Trojans upset 19th ranked TexasDec 6, 2010 - 6:58 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Nikola Vucevic scored 24 points and Alex Stepheson had 14, leading Southern California to a 73-56 upset of No. 19 Texas in the Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series.
The Trojans (5-4) also got 12 points from Maurice Jones and 11 from Marcus Simmons to snap a two-game slide.
Texas (6-2) was led by 17 points from J'Covan Brown and 12 from Jordan Hamilton. It was the Longhorns' first loss since a setback to Pittsburgh on Nov. 19.
USC carried a 35-27 lead into the second half and started it with a 13-1 run, capped by Stepheson's jumper for a 48-28 advantage.
The Longhorns cut their deficit to 10 with a 13-3 burst that ended in Hamilton's three-pointer with 11:35 remaining. But USC's lead was quickly up to 15 just three minutes later on Vucevic's jumper to make it 56-41.
Texas trimmed the difference to nine, 63-54, on Hamilton's free throw at 2:21 but would never get closer as the Trojans cruised to the 17-point win.
USC took a 6-5 lead in the all-time series...The Trojans shot 49 percent in the game -- including 56 percent in the second half. Texas shot just 32 percent for the game, including 25 percent in the second half.
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Southern California extends coach Andy Enfield's contract Mar 28
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- USC chosen for first NCAA Tournament since 2011 Mar 13
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6