Hamilton powers Texas over MizzouJan 30, 2011 - 5:33 AM Texas took down No. 11 Missouri, 71-58, in a Big 12 battle.
Gary Johnson had 15 points and nine rebounds while Cory Joseph added 13 points for the Longhorns (18-3, 6-0 Big 12), who remain undefeated in conference play and have won all of those games by double digits.
"I thought overall, especially defensively, we were able to do some really good things," said Texas head coach Rick Barnes. "It was a really good win for us against a team that doesn't quit."
Phil Pressey had 12 points and five assists and Kim English scored 10 points for the Tigers (17-4, 3-3), who had won their previous two coming into the contest.
"I am proud of our guys for what they did," said Missouri head coach Mike Anderson. "They came into a hostile environment and they scratched and crawled and just came up a little short."
Texas led this game from the start as Johnson hit a jumper on the first possession of the game and a few minutes later it was 10-0 on a Tristan Thompson layup.
The Tigers cut the deficit to six on a Laurence Bowers layup that made it 16-10 with just over 12 minutes left in the first half.
However, the Longhorns later ripped off a 10-1 run that saw them hold an 18- point lead and the team eventually took a 38-27 advantage into the locker room.
Missouri got to within eight points on a Ricardo Ratliffe jumper that made it a 45-37 game with 14 1/2 minutes to play.
A three-ball from Michael Dixon four minutes later cut Missouri's deficit to 49-42, but J'Covan Brown and Joseph followed with layups to again make it a double-digit game.
A pair of free throws from Dixon with 4 1/2 minutes left got the Tigers to within eight at 61-53, but that was as close as it got as Texas scored the next five points.
Texas leads the series with Missouri, 12-10...Texas plays at Texas A&M on Monday...Missouri plays at Oklahoma State on Wednesday...Thompson finished with nine points and 13 rebounds...Texas shot 52 percent while Missouri hit just 33.9 percent of its attempts.
- MISSOURI: 58
Jan 29 11:16 PM
- MISSOURI: 27
Jan 29 9:59 PM
- MISSOURI: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 29 9:09 PM
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9