Texas uses big first half to top Texas A&MFeb 1, 2011 - 6:32 AM
Tristan Thompson donated 10 points and five rebounds for Texas (19-3, 7-0 Big 12), who have won seven straight, all by double figures.
"It was a really nice win for us, we beat a really good team," said Longhorns head coach Rick Barnes.
B.J. Holmes led Texas A&M (17-4, 4-3) with 19 points, but no other Aggie reached double figures. The Aggies have lost three of four overall.
"I've been doing this 24 years as an assistant coach and head coach, and I haven't seen many times as good as Texas," said Texas A&M head coach Mark Turgeon.
The Longhorns jumped out quickly off the opening tip, scoring eight of the game's first nine points capped by Dogus Balbay's layup just over two minutes in. Balbay's layup and Matt Hill's jumper pushed the edge to 18-6 just over seven minutes into the game.
Texas A&M went nearly four minutes without a point and almost five without a field goal as the Longhorns ran off 14 successive points to take complete command of the contest. Alexis Wangmene's bucket and J'Covan Brown's two free throws capped the burst with a few ticks under six minutes to play.
Hamilton's triple expanded the margin to 43-17, totaling a 23-5 scoring stretch, and Texas held a 45-20 lead at the half.
Balby's fastbreak lay-in pushed the lead to 51-24 with just under 17 minutes to go, and the rout was on from there.
Texas made 50 percent of its shots, while Texas A&M connected on just 30.9 percent of its shots...The Aggies made only 1-of-12 from long range...David Loubeau scored nine points with six rebounds in defeat...Brown tallied eight points in the win.
- TEXAS: 69
TEXAS A&M: 49
Jan 31 11:03 PM
- TEXAS: 45
TEXAS A&M: 20
Jan 31 9:53 PM
- TEXAS: 0
TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 31 9:06 PM
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7