No. 3 Texas handles Texas TechFeb 6, 2011 - 5:01 AM
Gary Johnson also had 16 points for the Longhorns (20-3, 8-0 Big 12), who have won eight straight. Tristan Thompson added 11 points and five rebounds in the win.
"I thought we came out in the first half and our defense was really good," said Texas head coach Rick Barnes. "Obviously when you're making shots like we were it's always really pretty. Texas Tech kept fighting and they played hard. I told the team those guys battled, they played hard and they definitely have improved a lot."
John Roberson totaled 16 points and David Tairu added 14 points and five rebounds for the Red Raiders (11-13, 3-6), who have dropped two straight after winning three in a row. Robert Lewandowski notched 11 points and eight boards in defeat.
"Well we were just down too many," said Texas Tech head coach Pat Knight. "When you play against great teams and they get you in double digits, it's hard. You can make a run on them, but then you eventually run out of gas."
Texas never trailed in the game and six straight points from Cory Joseph, all his points in the game, gave the team a 20-8 lead when he capped the personal burst with a free throw with 14:14 left in the first half. The team run expanded with the Longhorns moving to a 25-8 lead on a layup from Jai Lucas.
A Thompson layup with 3 1/2 minutes left in the first half gave the Longhorns a 43-22 lead and the team eventually took a 46-30 lead into the break.
Texas Tech got the first seven points of the second half with a layup from Jaye Crockett making it a 46-37 game just over two minutes in.
However, Johnson quickly re-established the double-digit lead with a pair of free throws and Thompson followed with another free throw.
The Red Raiders continued to battle and a three-point play from Tairu made it a 53-47 game with 11 1/2 minutes to play, but Texas countered with eight straight points with J'Covan Brown starting and ending the burst with three- pointers for a 61-47 advantage with 9:11 minutes left.
That proved to be the back-breaker as Texas Tech was unable to get its deficit under double digits.
Texas Tech hosts Texas A&M next Saturday...Texas plays at Oklahoma on Wednesday...Texas leads the all-time series with Texas Tech, 74-53. The Longhorns have taken 15 straight at the Erwin Center...Texas shot 50.0 percent in the contest while Texas Tech hit 38.2 percent.
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4