Texas A&M sneaks past Texas TechFeb 12, 2011 - 9:38 PM Texas Tech despite a rough showing from the foul line.
The Aggies (19-5, 6-4 Big 12) made just 11-of-21 at the stripe, though B.J. Holmes made two clutch free throws late in regulation as part of a 14-point day.
Nathan Walkup checked in with 11 points and 13 rebounds for Texas A&M, which had split back-to-back overtime games coming in.
Brad Reese scored 18 points but missed a potential game-tying three in the closing seconds for the Red Raiders (11-14, 3-7), losers of three straight.
Texas A&M went into overtime for the fourth time this season on Wednesday and pulled out a win at Colorado. Saturday's tilt appeared headed for extra time as well when Texas Tech's Robert Lewandowski went to the foul line with 46.5 seconds remaining with the Red Raiders trailing, 67-65.
Lewandowski, though, missed both free throws, and Middleton made it a three- point game with a 1-for-2 effort at the stripe. A D'walyn Roberts layup cut the deficit to one before Holmes sank two freebies with 9.5 seconds on the clock.
Reese's 24-foot leaner was off the mark, but the rebound was knocked out of bounds with 1.7 ticks left to give the hosts another chance. John Roberson, however, shot too deep on his effort, and Texas A&M escaped with the win.
Texas Tech held an 18-8 lead early on, but the Aggies scored the next eight points to stay close. The visitors went on top, 23-22, on a Kourtney Roberson layup with 7 1/2 minutes left, and Texas A&M went into the locker room holding a slim 39-37 cushion.
Each team traded runs early in the second half, and it was nip-and-tuck over the final 15 minutes.
The Aggies are 13-1 this season when leading or tied at the half...David Tairu recorded 16 points and six rebounds for the Red Raiders, who got outrebounded, 34-27...Texas Tech hits the road for a tough matchup at Missouri on Tuesday, while Texas A&M hosts Iowa State on Wednesday.
- TEXAS A&M: 70
TEXAS TECH: 67
Feb 12 3:47 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 39
TEXAS TECH: 37
Feb 12 2:35 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 0
TEXAS TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 12 1:48 PM
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Texas A&M rolling toward NCAA tourney after 4-year absence Jan 20
- Washington's Scott Woodward named AD at Texas A&M Jan 8