No. 21 Texas A&M edges lowly Iowa StateFeb 17, 2011 - 7:14 AM Texas A&M held off Iowa State, 71-66, in a conference clash.
David Loubeau and Dash Harris each chipped in with 11 points for the Aggies (20-5, 7-4 Big 12), who got the magical 20th win and won their third straight. The game marked Texas A&M's first home game since a February 5th loss to Baylor.
"This team, even though it's not pretty, continues to figure out a way to win games," Aggies coach Mark Turgeon said.
Jake Anderson led Iowa State (14-12, 1-10) with 18 points and six rebounds, while Diante Garrett joined Scott Christopherson with 13 points apiece. Calvin Godfrey chipped in with 11 points and six rebounds for the Cyclones, who have dropped eight games in succession.
The Aggies used their girth and offensive efficiency to build a 35-28 lead at the half and pushed it to 45-35 on Harris' three just over three minutes into the second half.
The Cyclones responded, drawing within 47-43 on Christopherson's three-pointer 1 1/2 minutes later. Iowa State kept scoring, taking the lead at 48-47 on Garrett's triple, capping a 13-2 scoring stretch.
Texas A&M regained the lead and built it to 62-56 with just over five minutes remaining on two Middleton free throws. However, Melvin Ejim answered from long distance to again make it a one-possession game.
Walkup's layup extended the advantage back out to 66-59 under the three-minute mark, but Christopherson wouldn't quit, connecting from long distance for a 66-62 game.
The Aggies, who made 12-of-17 foul shots on the game, connected on enough of them down the stretch to hold on for the victory.
The Cyclones stayed in the game thanks to an 11-for-22 effort from three-point range. On the opposite end, the Aggies converted only 5-of-19 tries...Texas A&M held a 34-24 edge in the paint...The Aggies lead the overall series, 10-7.
- IOWA STATE: 66
TEXAS A&M: 71
Feb 16 9:56 PM
- IOWA STATE: 28
TEXAS A&M: 35
Feb 16 8:48 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 16 8:05 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24