Missouri takes care of Iowa StateFeb 20, 2011 - 1:13 AM Ames, IA (Sports Network) - Marcus Denmon had 25 points to help No. 20 Missouri snap a five-game road skid with a 76-70 win over Iowa State.
Laurence Bowers had 16 points and seven rebounds while Ricardo Ratliffe added 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Tigers (21-6, 7-5 Big 12), who have won three straight.
Jake Anderson had 17 points for the Cyclones (14-13, 1-11), who continued their free-fall with their ninth straight loss. Calvin Godfrey had 13 points and 10 boards and Scott Christopherson added 13 points.
"We dug ourselves too deep a hole early in the game," said Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg. "We spend too much energy trying to claw our way back and there's nothing left at the end."
The Cyclones kept the game close in the second half and Melvin Ejim's slam with 4:09 to play cut Missouri's lead to 62-60.
Missouri, though, countered with the next six points to give itself a comfortable margin. Denmon hit a pair of free throws following Ejim's slam and a turnover by Ejim saw Bowers hit two more from the line. Two possessions later, Bowers put in a jumper with 1:55 to play for a 68-60 lead.
Godfrey stanched the bleeding with two from the stripe with 1:18 left, but Missouri hit its free throws down the stretch to hang on for the win.
Missouri never trailed in this game and a 10-2 run early saw the team grab a 21-9 lead just under seven minutes in.
Iowa State, though, was able to cut into the margin and keep the game close trimming Missouri's lead to 33-31 on a three-point play from Godfrey at 2:44. The Tigers eventually took a 35-33 lead into the break.
Missouri's lead was never more than eight in the second half and Diante Garrett's layup tied the game at 58-all with just over six minutes left.
Missouri hosts Baylor on Wednesday...Iowa State plays in Texas on Tuesday...The Tigers lead the series with the Cyclones, 147-84...Missouri's last road win prior to Saturday came on December 22 at Illinois...Missouri shot 49.1 percent in the game while Iowa State hit 45.5 percent.
- MISSOURI: 76
IOWA STATE: 70
Feb 19 3:49 PM
- MISSOURI: 35
IOWA STATE: 33
Feb 19 2:33 PM
- MISSOURI: 0
IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 1:48 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18