Texas throttles Iowa State in AustinFeb 23, 2011 - 4:42 AM
Tristan Thompson posted 17 points and 14 rebounds for Texas (24-4, 12-1 Big 12), which rebounded from its 70-67 loss to Nebraska on Saturday. Gary Johnson added 14 points and 12 rebounds in the win.
Diante Garrett led Iowa State (14-14, 1-12) with 16 points. Scott Christopherson added 12 points while Melvin Ejim grabbed nine rebounds with eight points for the Cyclones, who lost their 10th straight game.
The game remained close throughout most of the first half, with Iowa State taking a 13-10 lead just over 6 1/2 minuets in. However, that was the last time the Cyclones were in front as the Longhorns used a quick 6-0 run to gain control.
Hamilton capped the spurt with a pair from the line at 11:56, and after his three-pointer and four-point conversion at 5:11 the Texas lead was 10, 33-23. He paced Texas with 12 points on 4-of-8 from the field in the first half, as the Longhorns took a 35-26 lead into the locker room.
"We told our team coming in that these guys were going to compete, and I think that you saw that in the first half," Texas coach Rick Barnes said."
The Longhorns opened the second half on a 19-7 run, capped by a Thompson jumper five minutes in, to create some breathing room. The Texas lead reached as high as 29, 69-40, with a Thompson layup at 10:06, and the Longhorns cruised throughout the duration.
"The first five minutes [of the second half] were going to determine the outcome of that game," Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg said. "I think in a matter of three minutes I think the lead went from nine to 20. We were careless with the ball."
Texas leads the all-time series 13-8...Alexis Wangmene did not play for Texas as he is indefinitely suspended due to a violation of team rules...The Longhorns held a 45-36 rebounding advantage...Jake Anderson scored eight for the Cyclones.
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22