Baylor topples Aggies, Dunn inches toward Big 12 scoring recordFeb 27, 2011 - 5:30 AM Waco, TX (Sports Network) - Perry Jones III scored 16 points and grabbed eight rebounds, as the Baylor Bears knocked off No. 21 Texas A&M, 58-51, at the Ferrell Center.
LaceDarius Dunn continued his quest to become the Big 12's career scoring leader, netting 16 points for Baylor on just 5-of-16 shooting. The senior guard needs only 12 points to surpass Texas Tech's Andre Emmett (2,256) and will look to achieve that distinction on Tuesday at Oklahoma State.
Quincy Acy supplied 10 points and seven boards for the Bears (18-10, 7-7 Big 12), who avoided a third straight loss.
"It wasn't pretty from both teams, but I tell you what was pretty is the effort that both teams and energy that both teams played with," said Baylor head coach Scott Drew. "Why you don't make shots is because there is great defense and why you don't make great shots or turn the ball over is because you get tired because of the great defense. I thought you really had two teams that competed."
David Loubeau had 14 points to pace the Aggies (22-6, 9-5), while Khris Middleton posted 12 points and 10 rebounds in defeat.
"I didn't think we played very smart against the zone," said Texas A&M head coach Mark Turgeon."
Texas A&M was vying for its sixth consecutive win.
A Jones layup put Baylor up 15-8 early in the contest, but the Aggies closed within 19-18 on B.J. Holmes' three-point play. From that point until halftime, the Bears were up by as many as six before settling for a 32-28 lead at the break.
Baylor extended its advantage to 41-32 on a J'mison Morgan free throw midway through the second half. Texas A&M responded with a 7-0 run to trim its deficit to 41-39, but the Bears pulled away with a 14-4 surge. Acy capped the burst with two free throws for 55-43 lead with 1:58 remaining.
The Bears improved to 15-2 at home this season...Baylor completed its first regular-season series sweep of Texas A&M since the 2003-04 campaign. The Bears picked up a 76-74 overtime win in College Station on February 5.
- TEXAS A&M: 51
Feb 26 11:06 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 28
Feb 26 9:57 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 26 9:07 PM
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Texas A&M rolling toward NCAA tourney after 4-year absence Jan 20
- Washington's Scott Woodward named AD at Texas A&M Jan 8
- Texas A&M athletic director Hyman steps down after 4 years Jan 5
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12