San Diego State opens with win over Long Beach StateNov 14, 2010 - 3:34 AM Long Beach, CA (Sports Network) - Kawhi Leonard scored 21 points and pulled down 12 rebounds as 25th-ranked San Diego State downed Long Beach State, 81-65, at Walter Pyramid.
D.J. Gay had 20 points and dished out three assists for the Aztecs (1-0), who also got 14 points from James Rahon, and 10 boards, nine points and six assists from Malcolm Thomas. Chase Tapley added 11 points.
T.J. Robinson led the way for the 49ers (0-1) with 19 points and nine rebounds. Casper Ware posted 15 points and Greg Plater had 10 in a losing cause.
Robinson's jumper and a pair of free throws by Eugene Phelps provided a 53-50 edge for Long Beach State with 12:55 to go, but San Diego State posted a 16-5 run which gave it the lead for good.
Rahon hit a jumper to start the burst, then a Billy White tip-in put the Aztecs back on top at 54-53 with 11 minutes left.
Rahon later drained a pair of treys to bring the lead to 62-55 with 8:07 left, then Thomas hit the front end of two from the line, making it 66-58 with 6:24 to play.
Long Beach only got as close as 66-62 with 5:48 left on a Ware layup, but he missed his free-throw chance, and Gay hit from beyond the arc to make it a seven-point game inside of five minutes to go.
That was the first bucket in SDSU's game-closing 15-3 run.
An early run put the 49ers ahead 16-9 less than seven minutes in, as Plater sank a jumper, but the Aztecs countered with an 18-6 burst. Leonard cruised in for a layup for a 27-22 lead with 7:36 to play.
Leonard hit another deuce with 3:51 remaining, adding a free throw to make it a 40-32 advantage. Right back came the home team with a 10-2 burst to draw even at 42-42 on a Robinson slam.
SDSU leads the all-time series 35-22, and has taken 11 of the last 12 meetings...Phelps ended with nine points and six boards...SDSU shot 50.8 percent.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 81
LONG BEACH STATE: 65
Nov 13 8:55 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 42
LONG BEACH STATE: 42
Nov 13 7:55 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
LONG BEACH STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 13 7:08 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20