BYU takes care of HawaiiDec 5, 2010 - 5:19 AM Salt Lake City, UT (Sports Network) - Jimmer Fredette scored 16 points while Stephen Rogers added 13 as 21st-ranked BYU downed Hawaii, 78-57, at EnergySolutions Arena.
Logan Magnusson added 11 points while Brandon Davies chipped in with nine for the Cougars (8-0), who have held four of their opponents to 60 points or less.
"Every time you get guys that go in there and they feel comfortable and confident and make shots and make plays for your team, it makes you deeper and helps you down the road," BYU head coach Dave Rose said.
Hiram Thompson scored 15 points while Joston Thomas and Vander Joaquim supplied 12 each for the Warriors (5-2), who have lost their last two games.
BYU jumped out to a 10-2 lead before a Thomas layup sliced the lead to 19-15 shortly before the midpoint of the half.
BYU reasserted control with a 15-4 run to take a 43-27 lead at the break.
Hawaii drew as close as 12 three minutes into the second half and the margin stayed in that general vicinity before the Cougars pulled away over the final stages of the game.
Two Noah Hartsock foul shots made it 69-48 with 4 1/2 minutes to play and the lead grew to as many as 24 with 84 seconds remaining.
"We didn't shoot very well and we're an outstanding three-point shooting team. We couldn't hit shots so we never got into the flow offensively," Hawaii head coach Gib Arnold said.
BYU leads the all-time series, 33-14...Hawaii won the last meeting in Salt Lake City to capture the 1994 WAC Tournament title...Fredette is six points from tying Mark Bigelow for eighth on the Cougars all-time scoring list with 1,715...Hawaii has lost 13 straight road games dating back to the 2008-09 season...Warriors head coach Gib Arnold graduated from BYU and his father Frank was the Cougars' head coach from 1975-83 and the Hawaii head coach from 1985-87...Thompson's younger brother Chris played one year at wide receiver for BYU before embarking on a two-year mission.
- HAWAII: 57
Dec 4 8:15 PM
- HAWAII: 27
Dec 4 7:01 PM
- HAWAII: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 4 6:08 PM
- Hawaii guard Aaron Valdes to turn professional Apr 7
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- U of Hawaii appeals NCAA men's basketball postseason ban Jan 6
- NCAA puts University of Hawaii men's basketball on probation Dec 22
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19