Jones guides Baylor over San DiegoDec 23, 2010 - 12:35 AM Honolulu, HI (Sports Network) - Anthony Jones led five players in double- figures with 16 points, and 15th-ranked Baylor routed San Diego, 83-50, in the quarterfinals of the Diamond Head Classic at Stan Sheriff Center.
Quincy Acy added 14 points for the Bears (8-1), who were coming off their first loss of the season to Gonzaga. LaceDarius Dunn contributed 13 points, while Perry Jones III and Nolan Dennis had 11 and 10 points, respectively, in the victory.
Ken Rancifer had 10 points to lead the Toreros (2-9), who have lost nine of their last 10 games. Trevor Fuller recorded eight points in defeat.
The Bears will next take on Washington State in Thursday's semifinals, while San Diego will play Mississippi State in the consolation bracket.
Baylor started quickly and built a big first-half lead.
The Bears scored 18 of the game's first 21 points; Anthony Jones had eight during the stretch, which Perry Jones III capped with a layup for a 15-point lead nearly seven minutes into the contest.
Holding a 29-13 lead a short time later, Baylor embarked on a 14-0 run that essentially sealed the outcome. Acy had six consecutive points, and Perry Jones III's layup with 3:14 left put the Bears ahead comfortably, 43-13.
The margin stood at 48-19 at halftime, and the outcome was never in question in the second half.
This was the first time these two schools met in men's basketball...Baylor won the rebounding battle, 39-25...The Bears shot 54.7 percent from the field, while San Diego shot 32.7 percent.
- SAN DIEGO: 50
Dec 22 7:13 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 19
Dec 22 6:09 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 5:24 PM
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12
- Mountaineers challenge Bears in Big 12 Tournament action Mar 12