Witherspoon leads No. 19 Memphis over LSUNov 22, 2010 - 1:07 AM Tupelo, MS (Sports Network) - Wesley Witherspoon posted a game-best 20 points with seven rebounds as 19th-ranked Memphis downed LSU, 70-61, at BancorpSouth Arena.
Chris Crawford and Joe Jackson added 12 points apiece for Memphis (4-0), which saw Tarik Black go for nine points and nine boards.
Andre Stringer had 13 points for LSU (2-1), which got 12 points from Aaron Dotson and 11 from Ralston Turner.
Stringer's layup gave LSU a 57-56 lead with 4:48 remaining, but Black hit 1- of-2 from the line and Crawford drained a trey for a three-point Memphis edge less than a minute later.
Witherspoon continued the run with a slam, then followed up with two free throws with 2:23 remaining and the Tigers hit their shots from the charity stripe down the stretch to salt away the victory.
Memphis led 20-11 on a Will Barton three-pointer with roughly 8 1/2 minutes played. LSU ran off a 9-1 run to climb within 21-20 on two Eddie Ludwig free throws, then moved ahead 31-28 when Dotson completed a four-point play with 91 seconds left in the half.
Stringer hit the back end of his two free throws with 24 seconds to play in the half and LSU took a slim 34-33 edge to the break.
Memphis has won three of the five all-time meetings...LSU was limited to 25 percent shooting from the field in the second half...Ludwig ended with eight points and eight rebounds.
- LSU: 61
Nov 21 7:17 PM
- LSU: 34
Nov 21 5:59 PM
- LSU: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 21 5:08 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- LSU coach: Guard Tim Quarterman leaving for NBA draft Mar 28
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- LSU freshman Ben Simmons announces he'll enter the NBA draft Mar 21
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- LSU coach takes responsibility for disappointing season Mar 15
- LSU coach: Tigers won't play in any postseason tourneys Mar 13
- LSU says Ben Simmons ineligible for Wooden Award Mar 5
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Simmons confident LSU will raise game vs. tougher schedule Dec 28
- Fast start by LSU's Simmons compares well to recent greats Dec 4