Notre Dame steamrolls UMBCDec 23, 2010 - 4:08 AM South Bend, IN (Sports Network) - Tim Abromaitis scored 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to lead 22nd-ranked Notre Dame to a 93-53 victory over UMBC at the Joyce Center.
Scott Martin had 15 points and Carleton Scott added 12 points with six assists for the Fighting Irish (11-1), who have won three straight since suffering their lone loss against Kentucky on December 8.
"We continue to be unselfish, we played some guys in the last eleven minutes who haven't played much in a game but who stayed in character and moved the ball. That's a real trait of this group, the unselfishness," said Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey.
Chris De La Rosa led the Retrievers (0-12) with 15 points.
"I thought that we played a very good basketball team tonight," said UMBC head coach Randy Monroe. "Notre Dame did a tremendous job of moving the basketball as well as sharing the basketball. They are a fun team to watch as a collective unit."
The teams were locked at eight-all with 16:23 to go in the first half before Scott drained a three-pointer to ignite a 14-4 run. Abromaitis ended it with a shot from beyond the arc.
Notre Dame shot 58.6 percent in the opening 20 minutes and led 48-29 at the break. Its advantage reached 31 at 64-33 on Abromaitis' bid from beyond the arc with about 13 minutes remaining.
Jack Cooley's tip-in got the Irish to 76-37 with 9:10 to play, and even after the home team took their foot off the gas, UMBC never got closer than 29 the rest of the way.
Notre Dame improved to 8-0 at home...The Retrievers shot 44.8 percent in the first half and 25 percent in the second...UMBC dropped to 0-17 against teams from the Big East...This game marked the first-ever meeting between the two schools on the hardwood, and upped the Irish record to 14-0 all-time against teams from the America East Conference.
- MARYLAND-BALTIMORE COUNTY: 53
NOTRE DAME: 93
Dec 22 9:09 PM
- MARYLAND-BALTIMORE COUNTY: 29
NOTRE DAME: 48
Dec 22 8:12 PM
- MARYLAND-BALTIMORE COUNTY: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 7:35 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17