Gophers stay unbeaten, top North Dakota StateNov 25, 2010 - 3:41 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Blake Hoffarber scored a game-high 24 points on 10-of-16 shooting to pace No. 15 Minnesota to an 84-65 decision over North Dakota State.
Trevor Mbakwe chipped in 12 points and seven rebounds, and Colton Iverson added nine and 11 for the Gophers (6-0), who were coming off a Puerto Rico Tip-Off title.
Michael Tveidt and Drew Lundberg netted 14 and 11 points, respectively, to lead the Bison (3-2), who had won three in a row since a season-opening overtime loss at Oregon.
Minnesota scored the final 13 points of the first half to turn a three-point lead into a healthy halftime margin.
Taylor Braun drained a three-pointer to get NDSU within 29-26 with just over four minutes left, but the Bison went silent the rest of the stanza. The Gophers made 7-of-10 from the foul line during the subsequent flurry, and Hoffarber's bucket in the closing seconds made it a 42-26 game.
The Bison slowly chipped away at the deficit and trailed 50-44 following Lundberg's jumper with 12 1/2 minutes remaining.
Hoffarber answered with a make from long range, and Austin Hollins added a layup to push to cushion back to double digits near the midway point.
It was a 13-point contest, 69-56, before Mbakwe scored six quick points in a little under a minute, and the Bison never seriously challenged down the stretch.
This series dates back to the 1900-01 season, with Minnesota claiming victory in 25 of the 26 meetings...The Gophers are 68-1 all-time against current members of the Summit League...Freddy Coleman finished with eight points and nine rebounds for North Dakota State...Ralph Sampson III ended with nine points and three blocks for Minnesota.
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE: 65
Nov 24 9:49 PM
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE: 26
Nov 24 8:46 PM
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 24 8:02 PM
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29
- Despite dismal season, Pitino exudes optimism for future Mar 10
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- Pitino to assess status of 3 suspended players after season Mar 8
- North Dakota State edges IPFW in Summit tourney, 69-68 Mar 7
- Werner, N. Dakota St. beat IUPUI in Summit tourney quarters Mar 6