Wayns leads Villanova in rout of MaristNov 17, 2010 - 1:01 AM Villanova, PA (Sports Network) - Maalik Wayns led all scorers with 17 points and added seven rebounds, as sixth-ranked Villanova earned an easy 84-47 win over Marist in the first round of the NIT Season Tip-Off at The Pavilion.
Dominic Cheek chipped in with 15 points, while Maurice Sutton finished with 13 points and nine boards for Villanova (2-0), which posted a 68-52 win over Bucknell in its season opener on Friday. Mouphtaou Yarou and Corey Fisher netted 10 points apiece in the win. Fisher also had seven assists.
Jay Bowie ended with a team-high 14 points for Marist (0-1), which finished a dismal 1-29 in 2009.
Marist jumped out to a quick 8-5 lead in the early going before Villanova woke up and answered with a 19-1 run to take control of the game, going up 24-9 with just under nine minutes to play in the opening half. Wayns started things with a jumper, three-pointer and layup before Fisher finished it off with three free throws.
Bowie's pair from the stripe with nearly 4 1/2 minutes to play drew Marist to within eight, 28-20, and the Wildcats took a 36-25 lead into the intermission.
The Red Foxes stayed close early in the second half as Anell Alexis' jumper kept it an eight-point game, 38-30, with about four minutes in. However, Cheek drained a three to spark a 12-0 burst by Villanova and Wayns capped it with a four-point play to put the Wildcats up 50-30 with 13:32 remaining.
Villanova maintained a comfortable double-digit lead the rest of the way en route to the easy victory.
The Wildcats have now won all five meetings against Marist...Villanova finished 44.6 percent from the field, while Marist made only 26.3 of its shots.
- MARIST: 47
Nov 16 7:25 PM
- MARIST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 16 5:32 PM
- Villanova's buzzer-beater Jenkins to stay for senior season May 3
- Villanova receives $22.6 million gift for arena renovation Apr 20
- National champion Wildcats bask in celebratory perks Apr 12
- Philadelphia cheers NCAA champs Villanova with parade Apr 8
- Classes off, party on: a Philly bash for champion Villanova Apr 6
- Oklahoma and Villanova face the shooting woes of NRG Stadium Apr 2
- 'Nova looks to show growth since 1st game against Oklahoma Mar 31
- Top-seeded Kansas, No. 2 Villanova set for Elite 8 showdown Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Villanova trying to put early NCAA losses in past Mar 17
- Villanova finds March failures trump Big East title triumphs Mar 14