Purdue beats overmatched Alcorn State by 55Nov 18, 2010 - 3:51 AM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - E'Twaun Moore scored 15 of his 19 points in the first half and 14th-ranked Purdue rolled to a 103-48 blowout of Alcorn State.
John Hart added 16 points, including 11 in the first half, as the Boilermakers (2-0) built a 42-point midway through the game and cruised to their 20th consecutive regular season non-conference win.
Purdue shot 52 percent from the field and led by as many as 62 points in the second half.
Boilermakers head coach Matt Painter said his team tried to "keep doing the little things" to stay focused as the game got out of hand.
"You've been on the other end of it and it's no fun so you have a lot of respect for your opponent," Painter said.
Kendrick McDonald scored 13 points for overmatched Alcorn State (0-3) and was the only Brave in double-digits.
The Boilermakers were coming off a 36-point victory over Howard on Sunday.
This one was equally lopsided.
Hart scored eight straight Purdue points -- capped by back-to-back three- pointers -- to give the Boilermakers a 24-12 lead before a timeout midway through the first half.
Purdue then scored 35 of the next 40 points and took a 59-17 lead into halftime behind Moore and Hart.
The Boilermakers were comfortable in Mackey Arena for the rest of the game, building a lead as large as 62 points when reserve Sandi Marcius hit a free throw to make it 87-25 with 9:41 remaining.
Their lead was never lower then 52 points the rest of the way.
It's been a hapless start to the 2010 season for Alcorn State, which has suffered losses to Texas A&M, Houston and the Boilermakers by a combined 107 points.
It was the first-ever meeting between the schools...Alcorn State never had a lead in the game.
- ALCORN STATE: 48
Nov 17 9:04 PM
- ALCORN STATE: 17
Nov 17 7:58 PM
- ALCORN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 17 7:09 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- Purdue's Swanigan out vs. Minnesota with ankle injury Jan 27
- IPFW coasts past Purdue North Central 126-95 Jan 2
- NCAA rules Purdue freshman Caleb Swanigan is eligible Oct 30
- Purdue at a glance Oct 27
- Boilermakers looking for big basketball results in 2015-16 Oct 27
- Cincinnati edges Purdue in OT thriller Mar 20