Purdue cruises past Austin PeayNov 24, 2010 - 6:15 AM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - JaJuan Johnson poured in a game-high 21 points with 11 rebounds as 10th-ranked Purdue cruised to an 87-65 victory over Austin Peay in second-round action of the 2010 Chicago Invitational Challenge at Mackey Arena.
E'Twaun Moore added 17 points, six boards and four steals for the Boilermakers (4-0), who advance to the third round on Friday to play Southern Illinois. Ryne Smith posted 11 points and D.J. Byrd connected for 10.
"We had good balance," Purdue head coach Matt Painter said. "We have a lot of depth. It's going to be a different look each time out for our opponent."
Tyshwan Edmondson struck for 16 points, while John Fraley recorded 11 points and a game-high 13 rebounds for the Governors (2-3), who will take on Charleston Southern on Friday.
Anthony Campbell's jumper with 8:49 left in the first half gave Austin Peay its final lead of the contest, 15-14.
Smith drilled a trey on the next trip down the floor to start a 7-2 run, and though the Governors climbed within 21-20 on a Justin Blake three, Terone Johnson sank a pair of free throws which sent Purdue on a 9-2 burst. It ended on a John Hart three-pointer for a 30-22 game.
Johnson polished off a three-point play in the final seconds and Purdue took a 38-30 advantage to the break.
The second half was all Purdue, as Johnson sank a trey less than three minutes in to put the Boilermakers ahead 49-34, then Moore's long-distance bucket gave Purdue a 58-36 lead roughly six minutes in.
The visitors couldn't close their deficit below double digits the rest of the way.
Purdue has won both meetings...The Boilermakers' Lewis Jackson led all players with nine assists despite failing to hit a shot from the field...Austin Peay committed 18 turnovers to nine for the victors.
- AUSTIN PEAY: 65
Nov 23 8:55 PM
- AUSTIN PEAY: 30
Nov 23 7:46 PM
- AUSTIN PEAY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 7:04 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Coach Dave Loos returning as Austin Peay coach Apr 5
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Top-seeded Kansas opens tournament play vs. Austin Peay Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- Purdue's Swanigan out vs. Minnesota with ankle injury Jan 27
- IPFW coasts past Purdue North Central 126-95 Jan 2
- NCAA rules Purdue freshman Caleb Swanigan is eligible Oct 30
- Boilermakers looking for big basketball results in 2015-16 Oct 27