Moore and Johnson push Purdue past AlabamaDec 5, 2010 - 4:41 AM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - E'Twaun Moore had 23 points and nine rebounds to lead 22nd-ranked Purdue to a 66-47 win over Alabama.
JaJuan Johnson had 17 points and seven boards while John Hart added eight points for the Boilermakers (7-1), who have taken their past two after a loss at Richmond.
"I was proud of our guys," Purdue head coach Matt Painter said. "I thought we had a focus again, defensively. We've got to create an identity defensively, and the only way to do that is to be consistent."
Tony Mitchell had 14 points and nine rebounds and Trevor Releford donated 12 points for the Crimson Tide (4-4), who had won their previous two contests.
Purdue trailed early when Chris Hines made a jumper almost 6 1/2 minutes in for an 8-7 lead and it was a 16-13 Alabama edge when Mitchell slammed the ball home for a 16-13 lead with 8 1/2 minutes left in the first half.
The Boilermakers, though, ripped off the next 17 points to go in front for good. Consecutive three-balls from Ryne Smith and Moore ended the spurt and made it a 30-16 contest.
Holding a 10-point lead to start the second half, Purdue built the lead to 13 points on a Terone Johnson three-pointer for a 39-26 advantage just under three minutes in.
A Hines layup cut Alabama's deficit to 11 at 45-34 with 12 minutes to play, but Purdue scored the next 11 points to put the game away, with JaJuan Johnson getting the final four for a 56-34 lead with just over six minutes left.
Purdue plays at Valparaiso on Tuesday...Alabama plays at Providence next Saturday...Purdue has won eight of the 10 games against Alabama...The Boilermakers shot 39.3 percent, including 9-of-24 from long range...Alabama made 40 percent of its shots, but missed all nine of its three-point attempts.
- ALABAMA: 47
Dec 4 5:21 PM
- ALABAMA: 20
Dec 4 4:18 PM
- ALABAMA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 4 3:34 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- Obasohan helps lead Alabama into NCAA tourney contention Feb 18