Moore, No. 19 Purdue roll over ValpoDec 8, 2010 - 5:19 AM Valparaiso, IN (Sports Network) - E'Twaun Moore had a game-high 23 points as No. 19 Purdue defeated Valparaiso, 76-58.
JaJuan Johnson and Kelsey Barlow both had 13 points for the Boilermakers (8-1), who have won three straight since a 65-54 upset loss to Richmond on November 27. Johnson also collected eight boards, while Lewis Jackson chipped in with 11 points.
Brandon Wood notched 20 points and was the only scorer in double digits for the Crusaders (6-3), who had a their four-game win streak snapped.
With the game knotted at 32 during the first minute of the second half, Purdue went on 9-2 run which was concluded when Lewis Jackson stole the ball and found a wide open Ryne Smith for a fast break three-pointer. Moore made the other six points during the spurt, including a long three.
Four minutes later, the Boilermakers maintained the lead, 49-38, thanks to a Johnson three point play. They kept their distance from the Crusaders with at least a nine point edge the rest of the way. Moore went 1-for-2 at the free throw line with less than a minute left to expand the lead to 21 -- the game's biggest -- and seal the win.
Purdue jumped to an 8-2 early lead, capped off by a Moore fastbreak dunk, but Valparaiso did not fade as they went on a 7-1 run to knot the score nearly six minutes into the game.
The Crusaders took a 25-23 lead with five minutes remaining in the opening half on a Brandon Wood trey. The Boilermakers, though, finished with seven of the final 10 points of the half to grab a 30-28 lead on a Johnson layup with 1 1/2 minutes remaining.
It was Purdue's second true road game of the season...The Boilermakers lead the series, 15-1, and have won the last 10...Purdue shot 51.9 percent from the field, while Valpo struggled and shot 38.5 percent...The Boilermakers made 6- of-12 three-point shots...Smith was 3-for-4 from beyond the three-point arc.
- PURDUE: 76
Dec 7 11:04 PM
- PURDUE: 30
Dec 7 9:48 PM
- PURDUE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 7 9:03 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Purdue's Swanigan out vs. Minnesota with ankle injury Jan 27
- IPFW coasts past Purdue North Central 126-95 Jan 2
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- NCAA rules Purdue freshman Caleb Swanigan is eligible Oct 30