Walker, Gators bounce back to down RadfordDec 23, 2010 - 4:46 AM Gainesville, FL (Sports Network) - Erving Walker had 20 points to help 20th- ranked Florida take down Radford, 66-55, at the O'Connell Center.
Kenny Boynton scored 11 points while Chandler Parsons added nine points, eight rebounds and five assists for the Gators (9-3), who bounced back from a 71-68 overtime loss to Jacksonville on Monday.
Jonathan Edwards had 15 points and nine rebounds for the Highlanders (2-9), who have dropped their past nine games after winning their first two to start the season.
"We played hard. We played a pretty good defensive game," said Radford head coach Brad Greenberg. "Our zone was active. We turned the ball over too often and they were very aggressive and very successful in getting offensive rebounds, so those two areas really hurt us."
Florida led this game from start to finish, getting the first two baskets and scoring 15 of the first 18 points as Will Yeguete's pair of free throws made it a 15-3 game just over eight minutes in.
An Edwards three-point play and another bucket from Edwards moments later got the Highlanders to within seven at 23-16, and he got a slam in the final moments of the half to make it a 31-25 Florida lead.
The game remained tight through the first several minutes of the second half, but Florida gave itself some breathing space with a 9-0 run that Vernon Macklin capped with a three-point play for a 45-29 lead just over five minutes in.
Florida built its lead to as many as 18 points with Boynton's three-ball making it a 58-40 contest with under five minutes remaining.
Radford scored nine straight points to get back to single-digits, but it came with just over a minute to play.
Radford hosts Dickinson College next Tuesday...Florida also has off until next Tuesday when it will host Fairfield...This was the first meeting between these two teams...Radford made 50.0 percent of its shots, but turned the ball over 24 times...Florida made 40.4 percent of its shots.
- RADFORD: 55
Dec 22 8:58 PM
- RADFORD: 24
Dec 22 7:51 PM
- RADFORD: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 7:04 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18