Aztecs top TCUFeb 6, 2011 - 7:04 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Billy White went 9-of-10 from the free throw line en route to 19 points, which helped No. 7 San Diego State stay perfect at home with a 60-53 triumph over TCU.
Malcolm Thomas and Kawhi Leonard each notched 11 points for the Aztecs (23-1, 8-1 MWC), who have won three straight, including a narrow 56-54 win at Colorado State on Wednesday. Thomas and Leonard also had 14 and 10 rebounds, respectively, as the Aztecs moved to 11-0 at home.
"It feels good to do well," White said. "Everybody wants to help their team. I've been struggling the past few games. I told my team I wouldn't let it happen again, so I've been working on finishing better and stronger."
Hank Thorns had 16 points and eight assists as the Horned Frogs (10-14, 1-8) were handed their sixth straight loss. They've dropped 10 of their last 11. Greg Hill added 12 points in defeat.
"We came out and played tonight," Thorns said. "I'm proud of the young guys and some of the older guys. I'm proud of our effort. We played really good. I think we should have come out with a victory, but we're showing progression and that's all we needed at the moment."
Up just 28-24 after halftime, James Rahon's three-pointer started a six-point run by the Aztecs to give them a 34-26 lead with 15:47 left to play. They got the margin to double-digits, 42-31, with 9 1/2 minutes left following a White jumper.
However, SDSU would never quite get a comfortable lead as TCU chipped away to make it a five-point contest at 56-61 with 1:12 to go off a Thorns trey.
But the Aztecs would put the game away with four made free throws the rest of the way out to seal the win.
TCU did hold a slim edge during the opening minutes of the first half, but after a 24-24 tie with 53 ticks left, D.J. Gay and Leonard each hit jumpers to make the four-point margin at the intermission.
SDSU has won 16 consecutive home games dating back to last season...The Aztecs lead the all-time series 11-4 and have won the last six meetings...SDSU made 18-of-24 shots from the free throw line, conversely the Frogs made just 6- of-9 attempts.
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 53
SAN DIEGO STATE: 60
Feb 6 12:23 AM
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 24
SAN DIEGO STATE: 26
Feb 5 11:12 PM
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 5 10:33 PM
- Helping Dixon: LSU assistant David Patrick hired by TCU Apr 20
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Jamie Dixon introduced at TCU, big boost for his alma mater Mar 22
- Dixon leaving Pittsburgh to take over at TCU, his alma mater Mar 22
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22