SDSU remains hot with easy win over UtahFeb 9, 2011 - 6:06 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Billy White and D.J. Gay both finished with 15 points, as No. 6 San Diego State dominated Utah, 85-53, at Viejas Arena.
Kawhi Leonard added 12 points and 14 rebounds for the Aztecs (24-1, 9-1 MWC), who have won four straight since their 71-58 loss to BYU on January 26. Jamaal Franklin finished 13 points with 10 boards, and Brian Carlwell scored 10 on 5-of-9 from the field in the win.
Will Clyburn paced Utah (10-14, 3-7) with 18 points and eight rebounds. Shawn Glover added nine points, but the Utes committed 15 turnovers and trailed for almost the entire contest.
Glover opened the scoring with a jumper a minute into the game, but that was the only time Utah led. White followed with a three-point play to put SDSU ahead, and about three minutes later, Malcolm Thomas' three-pointer gave the Aztecs a 10-6 advantage.
Carlwell's dunk with 11 1/2 minutes remaining put SDSU up 28-9, and the hosts didn't look back. Utah shot 27.6 percent from the field in the first half and committed nine turnovers, as the Aztecs took a 48-21 lead into the intermission.
The Aztecs led by at least 20 for the entire second half.
Thomas finished with eight points, 10 rebounds and five assists in the victory...The Aztecs held a 50-36 rebounding advantage...SDSU scored 23 points off the 15 Utah turnovers...J.J. O'Brien supplied eight points on 4-of-9 from the field for Utah.
- UTAH: 53
SAN DIEGO STATE: 85
Feb 9 12:19 AM
- UTAH: 21
SAN DIEGO STATE: 48
Feb 8 11:17 PM
- UTAH: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 8 10:32 PM
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- Seniors Taylor, Loveridge have No. 13 Utah rolling to finish Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- Athletic big man Jakob Poeltl shines in post for Utah Feb 16
- Utah coach Krystkowiak says time to put 'big boy pants' on Feb 9
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1