SDSU bests New Mexico, matches school wins recordFeb 17, 2011 - 6:20 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Kawhi Leonard posted 22 points and nine rebounds as No. 6 San Diego State tied a school record for most wins in a season with a 68-62 victory over New Mexico.
Malcolm Thomas had 22 points and six boards for the Aztecs (26-1, 11-1 MWC), who have won six straight since their lone loss to BYU on January 26. D.J. Gay added 11 points in the win, which tied the 2008-09 squad with 26 victories.
Dairese Gary notched 18 points, seven rebounds and four assists for the Lobos (17-9, 5-6), who have dropped two in a row. Drew Gordon chipped in with 13 points and nine caroms in the losing effort while Tony Snell added 14 points.
Up by as much as 14 with 10 1/2 minutes left, SDSU looked to have had the game in hand.
However, New Mexico started to chip away at the lead. Gordon's jumper with 2:48 left cut the lead to six, 58-52.
Then Gary made two free throws and a jumper as the Lobos pulled within four, 60-56, with less than a minute to play.
But in usual fashion this season, The Aztecs were able to bank on clutch free throws. In the final 34 seconds of play, SDSU went 8-for-10 from the line as the Lobos were never able to get closer than four.
The Aztecs scored six straight points to take a early 8-4 lead. Later on in the first half, SDSU used a 7-0 run to go up 22-16 following Chase Tapley's three-pointer.
Leonard's monster breakaway dunk with 13 seconds left in the half put the home team in front 31-24. Early in the second half, SDSU's lead hovered around 10 points, before the Lobos fought their way back.
Thomas was 10-of-12 from the free throw line for the Aztecs, who shot 67.7 percent from the charity stripe...The Lobos shot 76.5 percent from the line while going 5-for-12 from the three-point arc...New Mexico had 17 turnovers.
- NEW MEXICO: 62
SAN DIEGO STATE: 68
Feb 17 12:34 AM
- NEW MEXICO: 24
SAN DIEGO STATE: 31
Feb 16 11:18 PM
- NEW MEXICO: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 16 10:35 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22