No. 9 Aztecs pull away from WyomingMar 2, 2011 - 6:21 AM Laramie, WY (Sports Network) - Malcolm Thomas and Brian Carlwell both scored 15 points, and the ninth-ranked San Diego State Aztecs survived a slow start to down Wyoming, 85-58, and rebound from their second loss of the season.
Thomas, Carlwell and Kawhi Leonard carried a San Diego State backcourt that owned a decided 43-26 rebounding advantage. Thomas pulled down 11 boards, Carlwell hauled in eight and Leonard had nine to go with his 12 points.
The Aztecs (28-2, 13-2 MWC) shot 52.5 percent from the floor to put Saturday's loss to BYU behind them.
Desmar Jackson posted 16 points and six boards for the Cowboys (10-19, 3-12), who have lost 11 of their last 13 games.
SDSU started slow out of the gate and trailed 15-14 following a Jackson bucket near the midway point of the first half.
The Aztecs turned it on from there, scoring 11 straight points over a four- minute span. Chase Tapley's tough bucket in transition finished off the flurry with five minutes left, and Thomas threw down a tomahawk slam in the closing seconds of the half to make it a 37-20 game.
The margin eclipsed the 20-point mark when D.J. Gay's three free throws yielded a 49-28 cushion four minutes into the second half.
The Cowboys, in their last home game of the season, made little headway in cutting into their deficit over the final 16 minutes.
SDSU picked up its first road win in Laramie since 2008...Gay totaled 11 points in the win...Djibril Thiam scored 13 points for Wyoming, which travels to BYU for its regular season finale on Saturday...The Aztecs end their successful regular season slate at home against Colorado State on Saturday.
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Shyatt steps down as Wyoming coach; Edwards is new coach Mar 21
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21