Syracuse continues domination of Canisius with easy winNov 15, 2010 - 7:40 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Rick Jackson recorded a double-double with 17 points and 13 rebounds, as 10th-ranked Syracuse pulled away to beat Canisius, 86-67, at the Carrier Dome.
Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim collected the 831st win of his career to move into sole possession of fifth place on the all-time Division I list.
Brandon Triche connected on 4-of-8 shots from beyond the arc en route to a 16- point performance for the Orange (2-0), who opened the season by blowing out Northern Iowa, 68-46, on Friday.
Scoop Jardine scored 13 points and dished out eight assists in the win, Syracuse's 20th straight over Canisius. Despite the double-digit victory, though, Boeheim saw room for improvement.
"This Canisius team that we played lost 17 games last year. We need to get realistic," Boeheim said. "Right now we're the most overrated team I've ever had. And I'm a little shocked that everybody's bought into this whole thing. We've got a long ways to go. We are not a good basketball team."
Elton Frazier totaled 16 points and 12 rebounds for the Golden Griffins (1-1), who began the 2010-11 campaign with an 80-70 victory against St. Bonaventure on Friday.
Syracuse scored 11 of the game's first 15 points, but a Greg Logins three- pointer put Canisius up 19-18 midway through the opening half. Robert Goldsberry knocked down a trey and the Golden Griffins led 25-21 before a Jardine layup capped an 11-1 burst by the Orange, who took a 32-29 lead into halftime.
The Orange opened the second half on a 7-0 run, but consecutive three-pointers by Alshwan Hymes and Logins drew the Golden Griffins to within 41-37. Syracuse, though, scored the next 10 points and extended its lead to 54-41 after Kris Joseph sank a free throw to complete a three-point play.
"The first half we didn't get any rebounds, and we weren't able to get in transition," Triche said. "I think we beat them by about 15 rebounds in the second half, and I think that was the biggest thing that helped us open up the lead."
Syracuse's advantage grew to 74-50 on a Jackson dunk with just under seven minutes remaining. The Orange maintained a healthy lead the rest of the way.
C.J. Fair had 11 points for Syracuse, while Joseph finished with 10 and seven rebounds...Logins scored 17 points and pulled down five boards...Canisius hasn't beaten Syracuse since February 15, 1975.
- CANISIUS: 67
Nov 14 4:56 PM
- CANISIUS: 29
Nov 14 3:49 PM
- CANISIUS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 14 3:07 PM
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26