Syracuse dominates CornellDec 1, 2010 - 5:22 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Rick Jackson scored 17 points and grabbed 13 rebounds and Kris Joseph added 16 points as eighth-ranked Syracuse rolled to a 78-58 win over Cornell at the Carrier Dome.
Dion Waiters added 11 points while Brandon Triche supplied nine for the Orange (7-0), who have won 33 straight games over Cornell dating back to 1968.
Errick Peck matched a career-high with 14 points and Chris Wroblewski provided eight points, seven assists and four boards for the Big Red (2-5), who had lost their previous three games by a combined total of only 10 points.
Jackson was 7-of-9 from the floor while Joseph made 7-of-12 attempts as the Orange shot 50 percent while holding the visitors to just 33.9 percent on 20- of-59 from the field.
Syracuse sprinted out to a 15-3 advantage in the first five minutes and change and nearly doubled the lead at 29-7 with just under eight minutes left in the first half.
The Orange took a 38-17 lead at the break behind 11 points from Joseph and nine more from Jackson.
Cornell moved to within 49-38 inside of 13 1/2 minutes to play before the Orange reasserted control with a 17-4 run over the next eight minutes.
"In the first half, we were pretty good with the basketball. We did a good job on the boards. We shot the ball well and made good decisions," Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. "In the second half, we thought the game was over and made a lot of turnovers. I was very disappointed with the second half after a pretty solid first half."
Each of Syracuse's prior three wins had come by four points or less...The Orange lead the all-time series, 87-31...Cornell's last win against Syracuse was December 4, 1968...Waiters was 3-of-4 from three-point territory...Cornell was 7-of-29 from beyond the arc and has made a triple in 606 straight games. The Big Red have lost all 19 games they've played against Syracuse at the Dome...Cornell is 48-119 against current members of the Big East.
- CORNELL: 58
Nov 30 8:54 PM
- CORNELL: 17
Nov 30 7:50 PM
- CORNELL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 30 7:10 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Brian Earl hired as Cornell men's basketball coach Apr 18
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26