Syracuse ekes out close win over NC StateDec 5, 2010 - 5:15 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Scoop Jardine scored 23 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished out six assists to lead eighth-ranked Syracuse to a 65-59 win over North Carolina State at the Carrier Dome.
Rick Jackson added 16 points, eight boards and four steals for the Orange (8-0), who were able to down the visitors for a third time in four all-time meetings despite shooting only 38.3 percent from the floor.
Scott Wood scored 18 points, knocking down 6-of-15 from beyond the arc, and hauled in eight rebounds, while C.J. Leslie supplied 13 points and 11 boards off the bench for the Wolfpack (4-3), who have lost two straight and three of their last four games.
The difference in the game turned out to be 19 NC State turnovers that led to 28 Syracuse points, while the hosts made only five miscues that turned into four points.
The Wolfpack scored the first eight points of the second half to take their first lead at 42-38 less than three minutes in.
After trailing for most of the next nine minutes, including by as many as six, Syracuse regained a 59-58 edge on a jumper by Jackson with 6:54 to play.
Baye Moussa Keita hit 1-of-2 at the line to give the Orange a 61-59 advantage with 2:08 to go. After each team misfired, Kris Joseph made 1-of-2 from the stripe with 43 seconds to play to make it a three-point game.
Wood came up empty from beyond the arc before Brandon Triche hit 1-of-2 at the line to make it 63-59 with 17 ticks remaining.
NC State then committed its last turnover with nine seconds left leading to two Dion Waiters foul shots that sealed the victory.
"Our defense was good at the end. At least we have proven we can win a close game at this stage," Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said.
Jackson's jump shot gave Syracuse a 31-18 lead with 8 1/2 minutes to play in the first half before NC State embarked on a 14-3 run to trim the lead to 34-32 on a Leslie layup five minutes later.
Jardine's pull-up jumper at the buzzer gave the Orange a 38-34 edge at the intermission.
The Orange beat NC State during the 1990-91 and 2000-01 campaigns while falling at home during the 2001-02 season...Jackson made 7-of-12 from the floor while Jardine hit on only 7-of-21...The Orange connected on only 2-of-16 from three-point territory and 17-of-26 from the line...Syracuse is next in action Tuesday against Michigan State as part of the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden...All of Wood's shots were from beyond the arc...The Wolfpack made only 5-of-11 from the stripe...NC State had 18 assists on 23 made baskets.
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 59
Dec 4 7:33 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 34
Dec 4 6:21 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 4 5:36 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31