Syracuse brushes aside ColgateDec 12, 2010 - 7:27 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Rick Jackson scored 18 points and Dion Waiters had 17 as No. 8 Syracuse opened up a 38-point halftime lead on the way to a 100-43 rout of Colgate at the Carrier Dome.
Brandon Triche added 14 and Scoop Jardine scored 13 in a well-rounded dismantling that gave Syracuse (10-0) its 45th consecutive win over Colgate. Jackson also had 10 rebounds for a double-double.
Joe Hoban had 14 points and was the only scorer in double digits for overmatched Colgate (0-8).
Syracuse started the game on a 12-0 run, had a 46-8 lead at halftime and only barely allowed the Raiders to breath in the second half.
The 57-point win matched the largest margin of victory in Jim Boeheim's 35 years as Syracuse head coach. It also trumped the 52-point beating No. 1 Duke put on the Raiders earlier this season.
"They just had a bad game," said Boeheim. "They had a bad game and we had a good game."
How bad was it for Colgate?
The Raiders made just three of their 28 shots in the first half and were outscored as a team by two Syracuse players -- Triche and Waiters, who both netted nine points.
Colgate didn't score its first points until a Yaw Gyawu layup almost four minutes into the game. It scored again less than two minutes later on a Mitch Rolls bucket for a 17-4 game, but didn't get another point until Sterling Melville's free throw around the 7:00 mark made it 34-5.
The Raiders got another Melville foul shot with 4 1/2 minutes left in the half, drawing within 32 points at 38-6. John Brandenburg made a jumper with about a minute left for the other two points.
The Orange netted a season-high in points -- they passed the previous mark of 86 on a Matt Tomaszewski three-pointer that made it 88-30 with about 6 1/2 minutes left in the game
Syracuse, which was coming off a 72-58 win over No. 7 Michigan State on Tuesday, made a season-best 11 threes on 25 attempts.
Syracuse owns a commanding 118-45 lead in the all-time series, which includes a 92-58 romp over the Raiders last season...Besides the blowout losses to Duke and Syracuse, Colgate's other six setbacks have come by a combined 52 points.
- COLGATE: 43
Dec 11 8:56 PM
- COLGATE: 8
Dec 11 7:49 PM
- COLGATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 11 7:07 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25