Michigan State open its Big Ten season with win over MinnesotaJan 1, 2011 - 12:52 AM East Lansing, MI (Sports Network) - Durrell Summers hit four three-pointers and scored 19 points to help No. 20 Michigan State open Big Ten play with a 71-62 victory over 14th-ranked Minnesota at the Breslin Center.
Draymond Green finished with 14 points, six rebounds and four steals for the Spartans (9-4, 1-0 Big Ten), who were idle since losing to Texas on December 22.
"It was definitely a game just like I expected. I figured it was going to be a very physical game," said Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo.
Korie Lucious and Delvon Roe contributed 11 points apiece in the win.
Trevor Mbakwe totaled 17 points and nine rebounds for the Golden Gophers (11-3, 0-2), who began conference play on Tuesday with a loss at Wisconsin.
"Well it was a good game for a while there, until we started turning the ball over and (Summers) got hot," said Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith. "We couldn't find him and didn't do a good job there. Anytime you play a Michigan State team you are going to have to take care of the ball. That is something that we didn't do. I thought we did some good things again, but in the end we didn't get the win."
Summers made a bucket to put Michigan State up 17-16, but Minnesota closed the first half on a 12-5 run to take a 28-22 lead into the break.
The Spartans opened the second half on a 10-4 surge to pull even at 32, but Colton Iverson followed with a layup and Blake Hoffarber nailed a three- pointer to give Minnesota a 37-32 lead.
Down 41-38, Summers knocked down a trey to ignite a 21-3 burst that allowed MSU to take control of the game. Green's layup capped the run with a little less than five minutes remaining.
Izzo improved to 14-2 in Big Ten home openers...The Spartans have won nine of the last 10 meetings...Kalin Lucas had 10 points and seven assists for the Spartans...Hoffarber scored 12 points...MSU made just 15-of-22 free throws.
- MINNESOTA: 62
MICHIGAN STATE: 71
Dec 31 6:00 PM
- MINNESOTA: 28
MICHIGAN STATE: 22
Dec 31 4:49 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 4:06 PM
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18