Moore, No. 14 Purdue down SpartansJan 23, 2011 - 7:21 AM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - E'Twaun Moore notched a game-high 26 points with five rebounds and four assists as No. 14 Purdue downed 17th- ranked Michigan State, 86-76, at Mackey Arena.
JaJuan Johnson contributed 20 points and Lewis Jackson added 19 for the Boilermakers (17-3, 6-1 Big Ten), who have won two in a row since dropping two straight to Minnesota and West Virginia.
"You don't know how critical it is in big games like this," said Jackson about his role on the club. "I really wanted to take the responsibility to help the young guys, so there's not so much responsibility on their shoulders."
Draymond Green scored 21 points and pulled down a game-best 11 rebounds for the Spartans (12-7, 4-3), who dropped a 71-62 decision at Illinois on Tuesday. Delvon Roe posted 16 points and Durrell Summers had 11 in defeat.
In a tightly-played first half, MSU took a 20-16 edge with 9:22 left after a Derrick Nix jumper, but Purdue erupted on an 18-6 run to take the lead for good.
Moore started the burst with a trey, and Jackson later sank three straight buckets before Moore ended the clip with 4:04 remaining to make it 34-26. Purdue took a 41-31 edge to the break though Summers got the last laugh on a shot from long distance.
Terone Johnson's bucket just over four minutes into the second half upped the Boilermakers' lead to 52-39, and MSU took almost five minutes to whittle its deficit to 61-55 on a Green trey.
Jackson righted the ship with a basket for an eight-point edge, which hit double digits again on a Kelsey Barlow make with 8:45 remaining in the contest.
From there, the Spartans only closed within eight, the last time at 71-63 on a Roe jumper. Purdue spent the majority of the final four minutes at the line and salted away the victory by hitting 15-of-18 from the line down the stretch.
"They play so physical and they just keep bringing numbers in on you," said Spartans head coach Tom Izzo on Purdue's bruising style.
Purdue finished with 58 percent shooting from the floor, including 6-of-12 shots from beyond the arc...Green, Kalin Lucas, and Korie Lucious each had six assists for MSU.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 76
Jan 22 11:11 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 31
Jan 22 9:51 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 22 9:07 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15