Michigan State holds off Indiana in overtimeJan 31, 2011 - 3:56 AM East Lansing, MI (Sports Network) - Draymond Green scored 19 points, and tallied the deciding bucket inside of 30 seconds left in overtime, as 25th- ranked Michigan State claimed a hard-fought 84-83 decision over Indiana at the Breslin Center.
Kalin Lucas posted 26 points for the Spartans (13-8, 5-4 Big Ten), who snapped a three-game losing skid and posted their third straight overtime victory. Durrell Summers added 17 points and Delvon Roe chipped in 10 and nine boards before fouling out.
"I know fans are getting a little frustrated with us, but they're getting their money's worth," said MSU head coach Tom Izzo. "Indiana out-played us for the most part. I don't think it was for a lack of effort."
Christian Watford poured in 21 points for the Hoosiers (11-11, 2-7), who have dropped nine of their last 11. Jordan Hulls notched 17 points, four rebounds and four assists, with Matt Roth adding 12 points in a losing cause.
Hulls hit a runner in the lane to give the Hoosiers an 83-82 edge with 48 seconds left in OT, but Green responded with his own bucket in the paint with 27 seconds showing to make it 84-83 for MSU.
The Hoosiers then worked the ball around to the left side, but Hulls ran into defender, eventually drawing a whistle with 1.2 seconds left. Hulls got the inbound at the left corner but shot wide at the buzzer.
"Well, I think there are so many steps for our program that we're trying to take and one thing as a coach, there is nothing like when you go on the road when there is a strong belief that they're going to win the game," said Indiana head coach Tom Crean. "You're in that locker room and the energy is where it is, during the game you can feel it. It was an incredibly hard fought game."
A 19-6 run which lasted through the midway point of the first half boosted Indiana to a 26-15 advantage on a Derek Elston layup. Green's trey and two from the line by Lucas capped a Spartan surge of 12-1 for a 27-26 lead, but a Victor Oladipo shot sent the Hoosiers to the break up 43-40.
The visitors led by as many as eight, 60-52, seven minutes into the second half, but 11 in a row from the home team put it ahead 63-60 with 9:06 to play. Indiana went up 73-67 on a Watford jumper with 4:36 remaining, but a 13-6 MSU run to the end of regulation knotted the game at 79-all. Green hit two from the line with three seconds to play to send the contest to extra time.
Indiana still leads the all-time series 65-48, but hasn't won at MSU since 1991, having dropped 16 in a row at Breslin...Michigan State committed just eight turnovers and forced Indiana to turn the ball over 13 times...The visitors finished 11-of-21 from beyond the arc, and missed all five chances in OT.
- INDIANA: 83
MICHIGAN STATE: 84
Final - OT
Jan 30 8:24 PM
- INDIANA: 79
MICHIGAN STATE: 79
End of Regulation
Jan 30 8:09 PM
- INDIANA: 43
MICHIGAN STATE: 40
Jan 30 6:52 PM
- INDIANA: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 30 6:06 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19