Buford helps No. 2 Ohio State get by Michigan StateFeb 16, 2011 - 5:52 AM Ohio State pulled away from Michigan State, 71-61, at Value City Arena.
David Lighty and Jon Diebler both scored 12 points for the Buckeyes (25-1, 12-1 Big Ten), who rebounded from Saturday's loss to Wisconsin in Madison.
"There was a challenge tonight. I honestly wanted to see how they would respond," said Ohio State head coach Thad Matta. "I thought they did a pretty good job of that."
Kalin Lucas netted 14 points to pace the Spartans (14-11, 6-7), whose season continues to spiral downward. They were coming off Thursday's victory against Penn State, but have dropped six of eight overall.
Michigan State shot well, making better than 57 percent from the field, but got to the free throw line just six times. By contrast, Ohio State made 23- of-29 free throws while shooting 43 percent.
"We did just about everything I wanted to do, except we turned over the ball and didn't get to the free throw line," said Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo.
The first half was back-and-forth, with the lead generally never exceeding one possession. Buford sank a three-pointer with a minute left to give the Buckeyes a 35-34 edge at the break.
The teams continued to trade baskets and the lead in the second half, but Ohio State started to break away down the stretch.
Diebler hit a three with 12 minutes to go, making it a 52-46 game, though the Buckeyes came up empty on their next two possessions, and Draymond Green drilled a long-distance shot to keep MSU within three.
Then, Buford connected on a three and followed that with a jumper, giving the Buckeyes a 58-51 advantage with under nine minutes to go. Several minutes later, Aaron Craft chased a runaway ball into Ohio State's end, gained control, and dropped in a layup as he was fouled. The free throw gave OSU a 61-53 advantage.
Michigan State stayed in contention, and drew within 64-59 on Green's layup with 2:46 to play.
But the Spartans didn't score again until the closing seconds, allowing Ohio State to secure the win. The clinching moment was likely when Green incurred two personal fouls and a technical foul with 1:42 remaining. Craft made 3-of-4 free throws for a 69-59 advantage.
The Buckeyes are 17-0 at home this season (16-0 at Value City Arena)...Ohio State has won the last three meetings, and is 37-16 vs. MSU in Columbus...Jared Sullinger scored 11 points for the Buckeyes...Green and Adreian Payne both finished with 10 points for the Spartans.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 61
OHIO STATE: 71
Feb 15 11:02 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 34
OHIO STATE: 35
Feb 15 9:55 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 15 9:10 PM
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Ex-basketball star Mateen Cleaves charged with sex assault Mar 15
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15
- Michigan State's Tom Izzo may have a day beyond his dreams Mar 14
- Forbes has proven to be pivotal player for No. 2 Michigan St Mar 7
- Denzel Valentine draws comparisons to Michigan State greats Mar 4