Fredette leads BYU past Utah StateNov 18, 2010 - 5:40 AM Provo, UT (Sports Network) - Jimmer Fredette unleashed a game-best 26 points with five assists and three steals as 23rd-ranked BYU got past Utah State, 78-72, at the Marriott Center.
Noah Hartsock posted 15 points and four blocks while Charles Abouo added 13 for the Cougars (2-0), who topped Fresno State by 27 in their season-opener last Friday. Jackson Emery recorded 10 points and Chris Collinsworth pulled down eight boards for BYU.
Tai Wesley scored 19 points with eight rebounds and three assists for the Aggies (1-1), who topped Weber State last Saturday. Brian Green poured in 17 points, Pooh Williams posted 10 and Brady Jardine added 10 and a game-best 12 rebounds in defeat.
Jardine's jumper with 4:22 to play gave Utah State a 69-68 edge, but Abouo was fouled while following up a Fredette miss and hit two from the line with 3:38 left to give BYU a one-point edge.
Fredette hit a deuce after a Utah State turnover for a three-point margin, then Collinsworth hit his pair of free throws with 2:04 left to make it 74-69 for the Cougars.
Williams then hit two at the line, but the Aggies were forced to foul down the stretch. Hartsock drained a pair with 22 seconds left and it was 76-71. Morgan Grim made 1-of-2 for USU but Fredette sank his two at the line with 13 seconds left to lock up the win.
BYU led by as many as eight in the early stages, but a 16-8 run from Utah State drew it even at 23-23 with 5:55 to go in the half on Tyler Newbold's free throws.
Hartsock hit two from the charity stripe to forge a 33-33 deadlock at the break.
Wesley connected on 1-of-2 from the line early in the second half and the Aggies led 37-36, but the Cougars established control and led 52-44 on a Fredette trey.
Back came the Aggies to lead 53-52 when Jardine hit a jumper, but Kyle Collinsworth answered on the next trip down the floor for BYU and the game remained close until the final minutes.
BYU leads the all-time series 136-91...Fredette finished 5-for-14 from beyond the arc, but USU had the hot hand from long distance, going 7-of-11...Utah State fell to 11-57 all-time against ranked teams...Wesley moved into 16th place on the Aggies' all-time scoring list...Utah State's last non-playoff defeat happened on January 4 at Louisiana Tech (82-60).
- UTAH STATE: 72
Nov 17 11:11 PM
- UTAH STATE: 33
Nov 17 9:54 PM
- UTAH STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 17 9:07 PM
- Utah State's Jalen Moore to submit name for NBA draft Mar 25
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- Utah State downs Union (Tenn.) 73-49 Nov 20
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11