Fredette, BYU rout Chicago StateNov 21, 2010 - 7:27 AM Provo, UT (Sports Network) - Jimmer Fredette had 27 points, as 23rd-ranked BYU trampled Chicago State, 109-60, at Marriott Center in the first game of the South Padre Island Invitational.
Brandon Davies and Chris Collinsworth both had 15 points for BYU (3-0), which was coming off a 78-72 victory over Utah State on Wednesday.
Victor Scott had 17 points for Chicago State (1-3), which has lost three straight. Antonio Lofton chipped in with 13 points in the loss.
BYU put the game away early with runs of 16-4 and 11-2 during the first 19 minutes. The first surge came to begin the game, as Collinsworth's dunk provided the 12-point cushion less than six minutes in.
The other burst came toward the end of the half and culminated in Kyle Collinsworth's jumper for a 55-20 contest with 1:36 to go. It was 60-29 at halftime.
"Games like this allow a lot of people to play," Kyle Collinsworth said. "It allows us to make adjustments. For me, I tried to do things I don't normally do to try new things."
During the second half, BYU continued to cruise, starting the first 6 1/2 minutes with a 20-6 run. The outcome was never in doubt down the stretch.
BYU is now 2-0 against Chicago State. Their previous meeting was in 1987...Kyle Collinsworth, Brock Zylstra, and Jackson Emery had 12, 11 and 10 points, respectively, for BYU...Chicago State was outrebounded 58-39...Both teams play on Tuesday. Chicago State plays at St. Mary's-CA, while BYU hosts Mississippi Valley State.
- CHICAGO STATE: 60
Nov 20 11:55 PM
- CHICAGO STATE: 29
Nov 20 10:53 PM
- CHICAGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 20 10:09 PM
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- Chicago State pulls away from Trinity International, 81-69 Nov 21
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10