BYU makes easy work of Mississippi Valley StateNov 24, 2010 - 7:26 AM Provo, UT (Sports Network) - Jimmer Fredette scored 16 points and handed out six assists, and 23rd-ranked BYU pummeled Mississippi Valley State, 86-36, as part of the South Padre Island Invitational.
Jackson Emery finished with 15 points, six rebounds and five steals for the Cougars (4-0), who got 13 points and 10 rebounds from Brandon Davies.
"I thought defensively it was about as good a performance as we've have had in a long time," said BYU head coach Dave Rose. "I thought we were consistently challenging shots to make it difficult for them and when they drove I thought our posts were very active."
Jason Holmes had 15 points to pace the overmatched Delta Devils (0-4), who were limited to 10 points on 3-of-25 shooting in the first half.
Both clubs struggled early in the contest, with BYU holding a 10-5 lead just past the 11-minute mark. The Cougars began to find their stride, building a commanding 37-10 advantage at the break.
BYU opened the second half on an 18-2 run, and a Nick Martineau jumper gave the Cougars their biggest lead at 51 late in the game.
Noah Hartsock totaled 12 points and six boards for the Cougars...Mississippi Valley State committed 25 turnovers...No other Delta Devil player scored more than five points...BYU held a 57-40 advantage on the glass...The Delta Devils shot 25 percent (15-of-60) for the game...Tuesday's game marked the first-ever meeting between these two schools on the hardwood.
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE: 36
Nov 23 10:56 PM
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE: 10
Nov 23 9:57 PM
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 9:14 PM
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- Robert Morris hangs on for 67-64 win over MVSU Nov 28
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10