South Florida
75 - 77 Final - 2OT
  for this game

Buzzer-beater gets BYU past South Florida in double OT

Nov 27, 2010 - 8:24 AM South Padre Island, TX (Sports Network) - Noah Hartsock hit a jump shot at the buzzer, lifting No. 23 BYU to a 77-75 victory over South Florida in a double- overtime thriller at the South Padre Island Invitational.

Jimmer Fredette poured in a game-high 32 points and set up the game-winner with a driving assist in the lane, finding Hartsock for a 12-footer on the right baseline after almost losing the ball.

The Cougars (5-0) passed their toughest test after beginning the season with four convincing wins.

"They're a Big East team and the Big East teams always like to slow it down and play physical," Fredette said. "All in all we didn't play really great, but we were able to get it done and that's what you have to do."

Augustus Gilchrist scored 14 points as South Florida (3-3) had a two-game winning streak snapped.

Fredette hit a fall-away three-pointer from the left side to give BYU a 75-72 lead in the second overtime, but Gilchrist scored on a bank-shot in close at the other end to pull South Florida within a point.

The feisty Bulls battled to keep BYU off the board on the next possession.

Guard Mike Burwell blocked Hartsock underneath, knocking the ball out of bounds, and Fredette was also blocked on the same trip down the court.

Toarlyn Fitzpatrick hit 1-of-2 free throws for South Florida with 22 seconds on the clock to tie the game at 75.

Holding for the final shot, Fredette drove the lane and was met by a couple of Bulls defenders. He lost his grip on the ball in mid-air, but was able to scoop a pass to Hartsock on the right wing.

Hartsock nailed the shot, falling backwards onto the court to celebrate his game-winner.

It was a rare close game for BYU. The Mountain West contenders were coming off blowout wins -- a 49-point rout of Chicago State last week and a 50-point drubbing of Mississippi Valley State on Tuesday.

South Florida carried a 28-23 lead into halftime despite shooting just 34 percent from the field. BYU shot only 30 percent and its bench was out-scored 19-0 in the first 20 minutes.

The game remained close in the second half, and South Florida's Jawanza Poland hit a three-pointer to give his team a 61-58 lead with 46 seconds remaining in regulation.

Charles Abouo responded for BYU with a three-pointer from the top of the key, tying the game at 61 on his first field goal of the game.

South Florida turned the ball over at the other end without getting a shot off, and BYU missed a last-second heave, sending the game into overtime.

Fredette missed a leaner at the buzzer in the first overtime with a chance to win the game after the teams had traded three-pointers to tie it at 69-69.

Game Notes

Jackson Emery had 20 points for BYU...Poland scored 12 for South Florida...It was the first-ever meeting between the teams...BYU moved on to face Saint Mary's-CA.