Fredette, No. 23 BYU top UTEPDec 24, 2010 - 5:25 AM Provo, UT (Sports Network) - Jimmer Fredette scored 25 points, Jackson Emery added 23 on 6-of-9 shooting from three-point range and 23rd-ranked BYU posted an 89-68 victory over UTEP at the Marriott Center.
Fredette also recorded nine assists and eight rebounds for the Cougars (12-1), who got 15 points and seven boards from Brandon Davies.
"We got some really, really good plays from our two senior guards tonight," said BYU head coach Dave Rose. "I'm really proud of how Jimmer and Jackson handled all the different situations. It's a challenge to be really aggressive, but be patient. We had a tough time getting started, but Jackson and Jimmer really led us through."
BYU has won 26 of their last 27 home games.
Christian Polk and Claude Britten scored 15 points apiece for the Miners (9-3), who had their winning streak snapped at six games.
UTEP scored the first nine points of the game and a John Bohannon layup extended the Miners' lead to 17-6 near the nine minutes in.
BYU responded with an 16-2 run -- Fredette supplied 11 of the points -- to take a 22-19 lead with seven minutes left in the first half.
The Cougars never looked back from that point on. They led 39-26 at halftime and by as many as 28 in the second half.
BYU shot 48 percent (12-of-25) from three-point range...Jeremy Williams totaled 11 points and six rebounds for UTEP...The Miners had won eight straight road games dating back to last season.
- TEXAS-EL PASO: 68
Dec 23 10:50 PM
- TEXAS-EL PASO: 26
Dec 23 9:51 PM
- TEXAS-EL PASO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 23 9:07 PM
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10
- BYU ends No. 3 Gonzaga's 41-game home win streak Mar 1