Fredette, BYU edge past Colorado StateFeb 24, 2011 - 4:57 AM Provo, UT (Sports Network) - Jimmer Fredette scored a game-high 34 points as seventh-ranked BYU had a hard time shaking free from Colorado State in an 84-76 win at the Marriott Center.
Fredette moved past Devin Durant into third place on the school's all-time scoring list with 2,289 points. He also matched Durant and Michael Smith for the most 30-point games in school history with 17.
Brandon Davies supplied 14 points and a game-best 15 rebounds while Jackson Emery provided 11 points for the Cougars (26-2, 12-1 Mountain West), who have won six in a row and 16 of their last 17 since a December 18 loss at UCLA.
Head coach Dave Rose earned his 153rd career victory to move into sole possession of second place on BYU's all-time list behind only Stan Watts.
"The game was exactly how we thought it would play out as far as how physical it was and how competitive it was," Rose said. "Both teams played with a lot of emotion."
Andy Ogide tallied 25 points and eight boards while Adam Nigon added 14 points for the Rams (18-9, 8-5), who have dropped two in a row after a three-game win streak.
After a Will Bell jumper tied the game just under seven minutes in, BYU scored the next 14 points to forge a 27-13 lead with 9:41 left in the first half.
Fredette scored the Cougars' last 10 points of the half to finish with 18 and give the hosts a 44-36 lead at the break.
The visitors pulled within two three minutes into the second half, but BYU extended the lead back to 10 at the midway point.
Colorado State moved back to within 72-67 with 5 1/2 minutes to play, but a Fredette bucket stemmed the momentum, and the Cougars were able to hit six free throws over the final 2:02 to stave off the upset bid.
BYU leads the all-time series, 89-46, including 57-10 in Provo...Fredette made only 9-of-26 from the floor but was 14-of-16 at the foul line...Davies scored 12 of his points at the line from, where BYU was 35-of-43...Fredette was 2- of-8 from long distance and passed Jonathan Tavernari (2007-08) to set the school's single-season record for three-pointers with 90. He also moved past Michael Smith into third place on the single-season points list with 768...Ogide hit 9-of-12 from the floor and 7-of-9 at the line, where the Rams were 17-of-26. Colorado State outscored BYU 36-24 in the paint.
- COLORADO STATE: 76
Feb 23 10:12 PM
- COLORADO STATE: 36
Feb 23 8:53 PM
- COLORADO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 23 8:04 PM
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- Colorado St. extends Eustachy, contract runs through 2019 Dec 8
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10