Diebler paces Ohio State over Morehead StateNov 24, 2010 - 4:39 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Jon Diebler scored 20 points and Deshaun Thomas chipped in 16 points and seven rebounds as the third-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes topped the Morehead State Eagles, 64-45, at Value City Arena.
David Lighty added 11 points and seven assists for the Buckeyes (4-0), who have now won all three meetings with the Eagles.
Kenneth Faried finished with 15 points and 12 rebounds for Morehead State (2-3), which has now lost three straight.
"Faried is the best player in our league and certainly the best on our team," said Morehead State head coach Donnie Tyndall. "When he picked up his fourth foul it really changed the complexion of our defense."
Ty Proffitt supplied 12 points and Demonte Harper and Sam Goodman both finished with nine points in defeat.
Morehead State led early in the first but Diebler's three pointer at 10:47 put the Buckeyes ahead, 11-10. Diebler added two more from long range in the first to give Ohio State a 30-24 advantage going into the intermission.
"I think overall we needed better ball movement and sharper passes," said Ohio State head coach Thad Matta. "Our guys seemed like they could not follow through with the plays we were drawing up during the breaks and that was hurting us all night long."
Thomas connected on a second-chance layup at 15:46 that put the Buckeyes up 37-32. That bucket started an 11-2 run which extended to the midway point of the second half.
After Harper hit a long triple to cut the Eagles' deficit to 56-45, the Buckeyes made four of their final five shots to put the game away.
Ohio State is now 12-1 against the Ohio Valley Conference...Jared Sullinger finished with eight points and eight rebounds in the victory...Next up for the Buckeyes is a visit from Miami-Ohio on Friday; Morehead State will host SIU- Edwardsville on Sunday...Faried, Proffitt, Harper and Goodman were the only Eagles who scored in the contest.
- MOREHEAD STATE: 45
OHIO STATE: 64
Nov 23 8:48 PM
- MOREHEAD STATE: 24
OHIO STATE: 30
Nov 23 7:51 PM
- MOREHEAD STATE: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 7:04 PM
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Morehead State routs NAIA St. Catharine 105-66 Feb 16
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21
- Ohio State and Arizona square off in West Regional action Mar 21
- Russell leads Buckeyes over VCU Mar 19