Singler's career day leads Duke over OregonNov 28, 2010 - 12:31 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Kyle Singler tied a career-high with 30 points to pace the top-ranked Duke Blue Devils over the Oregon Ducks, 98-71, at the Rose Garden.
Singler, who made 5-of-9 shots from beyond the arc, also pulled down five rebounds for the Blue Devils (6-0), who captured the CBE Classic title this week with wins over Marquette (82-77) and Kansas State (82-68).
Nolan Smith added 18 points, six rebounds, and five assists for Duke, which extended its winning streak to 16 games, dating back to a 79-72 loss at Maryland on March 3, 2010. Kyrie Irving chipped in with 16 points, while Mason Plumlee donated seven points and 12 rebounds for the victors.
Joevan Catron tallied 18 points and eight boards for the Ducks (4-2), who have lost two of three since winning three in a row to start the season. E.J. Singler, the younger brother of Kyle, chipped in with 14 points.
"I just wanted to make sure that even though we were competing against each other, that he was loose. I told him to have a lot of fun," Kyle Singler said.
Duke raced out to a 7-0 lead on Kyle Singler's jumper and three-point play and Plumlee's slam.
Ahead by eight, 15-7, the Blue Devils pulled away with a 9-0 burst. Smith capped the surge with two free throws to make it a 24-7 game with 9:13 remaining.
Oregon got within 10, 33-23, on Catron's layup with 3:26 to go. Duke, though, fought right back with seven consecutive points to create some distance again. It was a 40-25 contest at the half.
Ahead by 12, 42-30, the Blue Devils put the game away with a 19-1 surge. Smith capped the burst with a dunk to make it 61-31 with 15:28 to play.
"It was a tough game for us, but I liked some of the opportunities our press gave us," Oregon head coach Dana Altman said. "We have a lot of work to do, especially on fundamentals and on the offensive end. I liked our fight, ours guys continued to play hard and with good intensity."
This was the first-ever meeting between Oregon and Duke...The Blue Devils are 26-16 all-time against teams currently in the Pac-10...Duke has won 28 consecutive games in November, dating back to a 73-62 loss to Marquette in the championship game of the 2006 CBE Classic...Duke has scored 80 or more points in five games this season. The Blue Devils have won 20 consecutive games when scoring 80+ points. Duke has won five of its six games this season by double- figures.
- DUKE: 98
Nov 27 6:09 PM
- DUKE: 40
Nov 27 4:55 PM
- DUKE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 27 4:08 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25