Jordan, UCF get first-ever win over FloridaDec 2, 2010 - 8:15 AM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - Marcus Jordan scored 18 points, while Keith Clanton nailed two key free throws with nine seconds remaining to help UCF upset No. 18 Florida, 57-54, at Amway Center.
Clanton ended with 12 points and nine rebounds as UCF (6-0) beat Florida for the first time in 10 all-time meetings.
Jordan, who is the son of NBA great Michael Jordan, said the Knights approached Wednesday's in-state battle with the ranked Gators just like it was any other game.
"We just wanted to just go out an get a 'W'," said Jordan. "It was just another game to us."
Vernon Macklin had a game-high 20 points with eight rebounds for the Gators (5-2), who had their four-game winning streak snapped while shooting only 42 percent from the field. Erving Walker netted 16 points and Kenny Boynton had 10.
Jordan was a big part of the win including two made free throws with 24 seconds left on the clock to put the Knights up 55-52. He also had three rebounds, three assists and a steal in the contest.
Walker made a layup with four seconds remaining to draw Florida within three, but not before Clanton was able to seal the game at the charity stripe for the Knights during the previous possession.
UCF led by as many as eight in the second half when it went on a 10-2 run finished by a Clanton three-point play four minutes in.
But the Gators surged back when Macklin scored six straight points to end a 10-0 run for a 46-44 lead with 9:11 left to play.
The two teams were close the rest of the way, but the Knights took the lead for good, 49-48, on a Jordan free throw with six minutes left.
Jordan scored seven straight points to give the Knights an early 9-7 lead. Knotted at 18 apiece, UFC went on a 10-2 run that was concluded with a David Diakite three-pointer with 5:13 left to play in the half.
The edge remained on the Knights' side, 34-30, at halftime after Isaac Sosa drilled a short jumper with 25 seconds remaining.
This was the first collegiate event at the $380 million Amway Center in downtown Orlando. Florida also played the first collegiate event at the old Amway Arena vs. Stanford on February 4, 1989...Florida outrebounded UFC, 40-33...Two of the Gator's leading three scorers -- Boynton and Chandler Parsons -- were held to 12 points combined...Florida was 2-of-13 from beyond the arc.
- FLORIDA: 54
CENTRAL FLORIDA: 57
Dec 1 9:05 PM
- FLORIDA: 30
CENTRAL FLORIDA: 34
Dec 1 7:52 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
CENTRAL FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 1 7:07 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29