Sullinger, No. 2 Ohio State beat GamecocksDec 18, 2010 - 10:55 PM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Jared Sullinger scored 30 points and pulled down 19 rebounds, carrying No. 2 Ohio State to a thorough, 79-57, beating of South Carolina at Value City Arena.
The Buckeyes (10-0) made 21-of-28 free throws, while the Gamecocks (7-2) got to the line just seven times, making three.
William Buford scored 12 points, while Jon Diebler, coming off a career-high 29-point effort in Wednesday's win over Florida Gulf Coast, added 11 points in the resounding win.
Sam Muldrow ended with 14 points and eight rebounds to pace South Carolina, which had won six straight since losing to then-No. 2 Michigan State.
"We took this game knowing it would be a tremendous challenge for us. We knew we would learn a lot about our team and it would help us towards moving forward," South Carolina head coach Darrin Horn said. "It was a good old- fashioned whipping from a veteran team."
The Gamecocks made just two field goals in the opening 10 minutes, allowing the Buckeyes to jump out to a 20-6 lead on a Deshaun Thomas bucket midway through the first half.
Ramon Galloway made a three-pointer four minutes later that cut the deficit to 22-14, but the hosts scored 11 of the next 13 points to pull away.
Buford's jumper with three minutes left capped the stretch for a 33-16 lead, and Sullinger banked in a 30-footer just before time expired to give the Buckeyes a healthy 42-21 cushion.
"The play was [to have] Dave [Lighty], pass it to me and I give it back, but I didn't catch the ball clean. All I heard from Dave was to shoot," recalled Sullinger of the buzzer-beater.
The closest South Carolina got in the second half was 15, 45-30, less than three minutes in.
Buford then ignited an 8-2 Ohio State run with a three-pointer, and the Big Ten power cruised from there.
Malik Cooke netted 13 points for South Carolina, which shot 38 percent from the floor...Ohio State turned the ball over just eight times while forcing 15 giveaways from South Carolina...Ohio State continues its homestand against UNC-Asheville on Tuesday...South Carolina is next in action on Wednesday at Furman.
- SOUTH CAROLINA: 57
OHIO STATE: 79
Dec 18 3:56 PM
- SOUTH CAROLINA: 21
OHIO STATE: 42
Dec 18 2:53 PM
- SOUTH CAROLINA: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 2:06 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings Feb 9