Ohio State dominates UNC-AshevilleDec 22, 2010 - 7:06 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - David Lighty made seven three-pointers and finished with a season-high 29 points, leading No. 2 Ohio State in a 96-49 rout of UNC-Asheville at Value City Arena.
Jared Sullinger ended with 16 rebounds, nine points and five assists for the Buckeyes (11-0), who got 14 points from William Buford and 13 from Deshaun Thomas.
J.P. Primm scored 15 points to pace the Bulldogs (5-6), who had won their last two. D.J. Cunningham added 13 points and seven boards, while Chris Stephenson ended with 11 and seven.
"We came out with some gimmick defenses to try and get them out of their game, but they are a very solid basketball team and that just did not work," said UNC-Asheville head coach Eddie Biedenbach. "They do a great job of moving the ball, making the extra pass, and creating open shots."
Lighty opened the game with a jumper and a three-pointer, part of a strong opening stretch for the senior, who scored the Buckeyes' first 11 points. His dunk a little over four minutes into the contest made it a 16-5 game, and Ohio State never looked back.
"I was open so I just kept knocking shots down," Lighty said. "I felt good after I knocked the first one down, but as long as we win the game I'm happy."
With 10:22 to play, Lighty drilled a three to end a nine-point burst and give the Buckeyes a 31-10 advantage.
Ohio State shot 59 percent in the first half and held a 48-24 lead at the break. The Buckeyes held UNC-Asheville to 36 percent shooting in the second half as they cruised to the finish.
Ohio State held a 46-22 advantage on points in the paint, and a 45-27 rebounding edge...The Bulldogs turned the ball over 21 times, leading to 28 OSU points.
- UNC-ASHEVILLE: 49
OHIO STATE: 96
Dec 21 10:29 PM
- UNC-ASHEVILLE: 24
OHIO STATE: 48
Dec 21 9:19 PM
- UNC-ASHEVILLE: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 8:37 PM
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21
- Ohio State and Arizona square off in West Regional action Mar 21
- Russell leads Buckeyes over VCU Mar 19
- Rams butt heads with Buckeyes in West Region Mar 19
- Kaminsky, Wisconsin crush Ohio State Mar 9