Duke handles Miami in ACC openerJan 3, 2011 - 4:08 AM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Nolan Smith scored 28 points and dished out five assists, as top-ranked Duke beat Miami-Florida, 74-63, in the ACC opener for both teams.
Andre Dawkins posted 16 points and Kyle Singler added 14 for the Blue Devils (13-0, 1-0 ACC), who have won 23 consecutive games dating back to last season.
"The obvious thing is Nolan (Smith's) play," said Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. "Nolan was spectacular tonight. He has been really good all season but tonight he was a difference-maker."
Duke also extended its win streak at Cameron Indoor Stadium to 27 games.
Reggie Johnson led the Hurricanes (11-4, 0-1) with 22 points and nine rebounds. Malcolm Grant logged 11 points and five assists in defeat.
"I told the guys after the game, I thought we competed hard," said Miami head coach Frank Haith. "And you want to be able to do that night in night out."
A Julian Gamble dunk gave the visitors an early 12-11 lead, but Dawkins nailed a three-pointer to put Duke up 20-14 with just under eight minutes remaining in the first half.
Nursing a five-point lead following a Gamble layup, the Blue Devils closed the frame on a 10-2 run to take a 37-24 advantage into the break.
Ryan Kelly's putback increased Duke's lead to 45-30 with a little over four minutes gone in the second half. The Hurricanes closed within nine before Singler hit a jumper to push the lead back to 15 at 56-41.
Miami trimmed its deficit to 56-47 with 6 1/2 minutes left in regulation, but Duke scored seven straight points to put the game out of reach.
The Blue Devils own a commanding 14-2 series advantage over Miami, including a 7-0 mark at Cameron Indoor Stadium...Duke has won four straight conference openers...The Blue Devils have won 49 straight home games against unranked opponents...Singler grabbed eight rebounds...Mason Plumlee recorded 10 boards and four blocks for Duke...Durand Scott had 10 points and five rebounds for the Hurricanes.
- MIAMI: 63
Jan 2 9:41 PM
- MIAMI: 24
Jan 2 8:34 PM
- MIAMI: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 2 7:47 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25