Smith, No. 4 Duke easily down NC StateJan 20, 2011 - 7:05 AM Raleigh, NC (Sports Network) - Nolan Smith notched 22 points and six assists as No. 4 Duke downed North Carolina State, 92-78, at RBC Center.
Kyle Singler scored 18 points with nine rebounds for the Blue Devils (17-1, 4-1 ACC), winners in two straight since their lone loss at Florida State. Miles Plumlee checked in with 11 points and eight boards, while Ryan Kelly added 11 points.
Tracy Smith tallied 19 points with nine boards for the Wolfpack (11-7, 1-3), who have dropped three in a row. Scott Wood hit four three-pointers en route to 15 points and C.J. Leslie contributed 13 and eight rebounds in defeat.
Duke was in control from the outset, beginning with 11 of the game's first 14 points after a trey from Singler. NC State got within 13-12 on a Wood three, but the visitors answered with a 9-2 burst to go ahead 22-14 on a Seth Curry deuce.
Tyler Thornton then connected from long distance and the Blue Devils forged ahead 32-18 with 8:08 left in the first. Leslie's free throw closed out the half but the Wolfpack were behind 42-28.
Richard Howell's layup and foul shot less than four minutes into the second half got the home team back to 48-43, and another three-ball from Wood with 13:16 to go made it 54-49.
Duke righted the ship from there, embarking on a 9-1 run to seize the momentum back. Singler ended the clip on a layup and it was 63-50. Kelly's shot with 8:37 to play gave the Blue Devils a 70-54 edge, and the closest NC State got the rest of the way was 74-66 on a long-distance make by Wood.
Singler answered that with a three of his own to push the lead back into double digits, then added another with 2:32 left which produced an 87-73 score to effectively wrap up the victory.
"We won a hard fought game," Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "I am proud of our big guys that they were able to hang in there. That was the best we've rebounded all year."
Duke holds a 137-97 edge in the all-time series, and avenged NC State's 88-74 decision last season in the schools' previous matchup...Howell ended with 10 points and seven rebounds...Mason Plumlee led all players with 10 rebounds and six blocks.
- DUKE: 92
NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 78
Jan 19 9:01 PM
- DUKE: 42
NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 28
Jan 19 7:53 PM
- DUKE: 0
NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 19 7:03 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25