Kentucky fends off late push from GeorgiaJan 30, 2011 - 12:44 AM
DeAndre Liggins and Brandon Knight each chipped in with 11 points for the Wildcats (16-4, 4-2 SEC), who have won four of their last five.
Dustin Ware notched 18 points and Gerald Robinson supplied 12 for the Bulldogs (14-6, 3-4), who have lost four of their last six, including a double-overtime decision to Florida on Tuesday.
"I was just trying to do whatever the team needed, but it was just one of those days," Ware said. "Our shots just were not going down. I was trying to pick it up and help keep the team afloat. We had a lot of guys play well for us today and we stayed in it, but couldn't pull it out."
Trailing by 13 with just over four minutes remaining, the Bulldogs scored the next seven points to make it 59-53 following a Ware three-pointer two minutes later.
Georgia would move within six several times during the final two minutes, but could not get any closer. Kentucky kept the comeback at bay as Miller, Liggins and Lamb each hit a pair from the free throw line to sew up the victory.
"I think we just started missing a couple shots," Knight said of the second half. "They wanted to make a run. I think we did an alright job sustaining them, but I think we need to do a better job finishing the game."
UK jumped out to a 9-2 lead following a Knight jumper just under three minutes into the game.
The Wildcats kept their distance for most of the first half with hot shooting, as they hit 51.7 percent of their attempts (15-of-29). The home team held onto a 39-24 edge at intermission.
Kentucky maintained a double-digit lead throughout the second half until the Bulldogs late run to make the game interesting.
UK is 113-25 all-time against Georgia, including a 55-5 mark against the Bulldogs in Lexington...Kentucky has either swept or split the season series with UGA each of the last seven years...The Wildcats made 6-of-12 from the three point arc in the first half, however went 0-for-5 during the second half...Georgia won the first meeting earlier this month, defeating the 'Cats 77-70 in the SEC opener for both teams on January 8...Georgia is 4-2 in true road games.
- GEORGIA: 60
Jan 29 6:08 PM
- GEORGIA: 24
Jan 29 4:55 PM
- GEORGIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 29 4:10 PM
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Kentucky reserve G/F Charles Matthews requests transfer May 18
- Calipari plans to coach Kentucky 'the rest of my career' May 16
- Calipari: Defense, size will be Kentucky's initial strengths May 11
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- Kentucky's Skal Labissiere announces plan to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Kentucky guard Jamal Murray says he will enter NBA draft Apr 1
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- Calipari: All eligible Kentucky players to enter NBA draft Mar 23
- Kentucky's up-and-down season ends with early tourney exit Mar 20
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky falters, loses to Indiana 73-67 Mar 19