North Carolina beats Maryland, pulls even in ACC raceFeb 28, 2011 - 5:06 AM Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) - Tyler Zeller finished with 25 points while Harrison Barnes scored 21, as No. 19 North Carolina extended its winning streak with an 87-76 defeat of Maryland.
John Henson had 10 points, 15 rebounds and seven blocks for the Tar Heels (22-6, 12-2 ACC), who have won five in a row. They also pulled into a tie atop the conference standings with Duke, which lost at Virginia Tech on Saturday.
North Carolina hosts Duke in the regular-season finale on March 5.
"[The winning streak has] been good, but you know it's going to come to a point where it's going to be a one-game elimination," Barnes said. "So we've just got to come ready to play every night and be as consistent as possible."
Terrell Stoglin netted 28 points to pace the Terrapins (18-11, 7-7), who had won their last two. Jordan Williams added 16 points and 19 boards in the setback.
North Carolina held a small lead for most of the first half, but started to pull away late in the period. Leslie McDonald drilled a three-pointer before Zeller's three-point play, which made it a 37-27 game with about 4 1/2 minutes left.
McDonald, who finished with 15 points, capped the half with a jumper to give UNC a 43-31 advantage at the break.
Henson opened the second half with a layup, and the Tar Heels never let Maryland get back in the game. They held a 68-51 lead about midway through the second after Zeller recorded back-to-back buckets.
The Terps got within 82-74 on Sean Mosley's three-pointer with a little under two minutes remaining, but made just one more shot as UNC secured the win at the foul line.
"I thought we did a pretty good job in the second half," said Maryland head coach Gary Williams. "But you know, you go down by 12 at halftime to a good team, it's not going to be easy coming back."
Kendall Marshall had 10 assists for the Tar Heels...UNC plays at Florida State on Wednesday before facing Duke...Maryland had won the last two meetings.
- MARYLAND: 76
NORTH CAROLINA: 87
Feb 27 9:38 PM
- MARYLAND: 31
NORTH CAROLINA: 43
Feb 27 8:27 PM
- MARYLAND: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 27 7:36 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2