Florida rolls past AlabamaMar 2, 2011 - 3:27 AM Gainesville, FL (Sports Network) - Vernon Macklin totaled 19 points and six rebounds as No. 14 Florida rolled by Alabama, 78-51, at O'Connell Center.
Chandler Parsons added 19 points with 11 boards for the Gators (23-6, 12-3 SEC), who recovered from a loss at Kentucky last Saturday and have won seven of eight.
Florida, which clinched a share of the SEC title, can win it outright in its regular-season finale at Vanderbilt on March 5.
Trevor Releford scored 17 points and Tony Mitchell had 14 with eight rebounds for the Crimson Tide (19-10, 11-4), who have dropped two in a row after winning four straight. Alabama's finale is also this coming Saturday, in Tuscaloosa hosting Georgia.
JaMychal Green's layup pulled the Tide within 39-38 with less than five minutes played in the second half, but Florida pulled away from there.
Kenny Boynton's triple ignited a 17-4 run for the Gators that saw Parsons also contribute a pair from long distance. Macklin's slam with 9;04 remaining gave the home team a 56-42 edge and it was never close the rest of the way.
Alex Tyus finished off a three-point play with 6:07 to go which provided Florida with a 20-point bulge at 64-44 and Erving Walker's layup inside the final minute forged the eventual winning margin of 27.
A 12-5 run at the end of the first half got Alabama a 30-27 lead after a Mitchell dunk, but a trey from Boynton tied the game at the break.
Florida has won 16 of the last 19 meetings...Boynton finished 4-for-8 from long range as part of a 14-point performance...Green posted 10 points and nine rebounds for Alabama.
- ALABAMA: 51
Mar 1 8:50 PM
- ALABAMA: 30
Mar 1 7:47 PM
- ALABAMA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 1 7:03 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9