Utah State blows out Louisiana TechMar 6, 2011 - 2:22 AM Utah State concluded its regular season with a 72-30 rout of Louisiana Tech.
Tai Wesley added 11 points for the Western Athletic Conference champion Aggies (28-3, 15-1 WAC), who head to the conference tournament with a six-game winning streak.
C.J. Scott scored 10 for Louisiana Tech (12-20, 2-14), which has dropped eight of its last nine contests. The Bulldogs were held to their lowest point total since at least 1950, and shot just 17.9 percent (10-of-56) from the field. Olu Ashaolu had nine points in the loss.
The 42-point defeat ties the largest margin of defeat at Thomas Assembly Center.
This game was a blowout early, as the Aggies scored 25 of the game's first 27 points. A three-pointer by Pooh Williams made it 11-0, and after Ashaolu made a layup, Utah State rattled off the next 14 points. Green capped the burst with a three-ball with under 12 minutes remaining.
Facing a 34-15 halftime deficit, the Bulldogs actually made some progress early in the second stanza. A pair of free throws from Ashaolu had the hosts within 38-22 with nearly 15 minutes left.
Newbold, though, drilled a three-pointer a short time later for a 45-24 difference, part of an 11-0 run. When it was over on Newbold's layup, it was 53-24 with nearly nine minutes to go.
Utah State tied a school record for road wins in a season with 11. The 1959-60 and 2880-09 teams also had 11...Utah State became just the seventh team in the 49-year history of the Western Athletic Conference to lose one or fewer league games. Utah (1998-99) and TCU (1997-98) are the only teams to ever go unbeaten in league play as both had 14-0 WAC marks. The only other team to go 15-1 in WAC play was Utah in 1990-91 and 1996-97...Louisiana Tech's last win over a ranked team was over No. 6 Louisville, 73-64, on December 7, 1984...Louisiana Tech is 2-11 all-time against Utah State. In the game earlier this season, the Aggies never trailed in a 74-57 win.
- UTAH STATE: 72
LOUISIANA TECH: 30
Mar 5 9:05 PM
- UTAH STATE: 34
LOUISIANA TECH: 15
Mar 5 7:49 PM
- UTAH STATE: 0
LOUISIANA TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 5 7:05 PM
- Utah State's Jalen Moore to submit name for NBA draft Mar 25
- Utah State downs Union (Tenn.) 73-49 Nov 20
- Utah State coach Stew Morrill to retire at season's end Jan 9
- Tulsa edges Louisiana Tech to win C-USA title Mar 15
- Tulsa takes on Louisiana Tech for C-USA Tournament title Mar 15
- San Diego State routs Utah State in MWC quarters Mar 13
- Aztecs and Aggies square off in MWC quarterfinals Mar 13
- New Mexico pulls away from Utah State Feb 26
- Surging Lobos take on slumping Aggies Feb 25
- Shrigley and Aztecs thump Aggies Feb 19
- Aggies and Aztecs mix it up in Mountain West melee Feb 18
- Thames, Aztecs edge Aggies in OT Jan 26